Wednesday, December 21, 2005

From The Big Island


There are only a few good Hawaiian Christmas albums out there, and this is one of the great ones. Unfortunately, most folks have never heard of it. This LP was released on the same label and in the same year as the previously shared LP by The Town Pipers, but the two styles couldn't be much further apart. This LP was made in Hawaii by some native Hawaiians, and I think it shows through on the tracks. They aren't singing native Hawaiian songs, though, but the spirit of the islands is plainly evident, along with a healthy sense of humor. There are a couple of unique tracks here, along with a passle of your typical holiday hits. My favorite tune is Here Comes Santa In A Red Canoe, and I'm sure it will become your favorite, too. Please download and give a listen to The Surfers-Christmas From Hawaii (HiFi R410, 1959). This LP was recorded in the Kaiser Aluminum Dome, which I'm sure you are familiar with from the backside of all those Arthur Lyman LPs.

Update (13 Oct 08): This one is now available as a legal download! So go get it! Here's a link to Amazon, but it's also available elsewhere.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe it! My mother used to play that album for us when I was growing up in the 60's. It just isn't Christmas until you hear Here Comes Santa in a Red Canue. Not to mention, THE MOST BEAUTIFUL version of Oh Holy Night I have ever heard in my life. I hear that song and it sends me into homesick tears of yesteryear. We unfortunately lost our album so I've been searching for a replacement this year. Too bad your download was forbidden.
    Anyways...
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...