Thursday, November 23, 2023

Christmas In The Motor City 3

Time for another installment of Christmas from Detroit, but this one also ropes in a bit of Finland, of all places. I don't think I've ever shared any Christmas music from Finland with you, so this is breaking new ground. There's some music on here that I don't think you'll hear elsewhere, so it's worth a bit of your time this year. This is Finlandia Male Chorus Of Detroit-Christmas Songs--Joulu Lauluja (Midwest Custom Recording Service/Century MCR-1001, Stereo). I had no idea that Detroit was home to a large Finnish population, but live and learn. Enjoy!

1. Joulukellot (Christmas Bells)
2. Jouluaattona (Christmas Eve)
3. Joulupuu On Rakennettu (The Christmas Tree Is Decorated)
4. Joululaulu (Christmas Song)
5. Joulujuhla (Christmas Celebration)
6. Joulu Yƶ (Silent Night)
7. O Tannenbaum (O Christmas Tree)
8. Iltatuulen Viesti (Message Of The Evening Breeze)
9. Finlandia
10. Gloria
11. The Sleep Of Child Jesus
12. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
13. The Little Drummer Boy
14. I Came Upon The Midnight Clear (SIC)
15. Do You Hear What I Hear?
16. Three Noels: Christmas Hymn; Christmas Eve Is Here; Now We Sing of Christmas

MEGA

6 comments:

  1. Long time fan of your blog – as a native Michigander, happy to say that my family has a house a few miles away from (what I'm assuming is) the previous location of Midwest Custom Recording Service. Fascinating record!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your continued support! I love hearing of connections to these records, makes them seem a lot more relatable. Real people in real places made this music, not a corporation in a high rise with a computer and a mixer.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that myself, about the Finnish population of Detroit, which isn't all that far from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know... I never knew about all the Eastern European enclaves in Cleveland until I visited once.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure this is one of those stock covers, but I didn't take the time to look it up.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...