Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Deckin' Those Halls

A remaster of a great album I first shared in 2007 here for you tonight.  It was an attempt by the Kapp label to compete with the stereo showpieces from the likes of RCA, Audio Fidelity or United Artists at the time. Fancy packaging, a prestige name, and ultra-wide stereo separation were the hallmarks of these releases, as well as extensive liner notes telling you exactly how the music was made, captured, pressed onto the premium discs, and then, most important, how you were supposed to listen to it.  You can read all that, if you care, it's on a scan of the inside gatefold in the download, but I just care about some cool Christmas music.  And there's plenty of that here.  I believe this particular LP that I ripped is a slightly later issue, they've removed the 1960 date from the cover, and there's a white band all the way around it, unlike the original version. I tried ripping that older copy, but it had some background noise in it that I just couldn't get out.  This copy isn't prefect, but it's much better than the other one, believe me. And it's much better than the old version I've been sharing all these years.  So please give a listen to The Medallion Orchestra And Chorus-The Sound Of Christmas-Deck The Halls (Medallion (Kapp) MS-7512, Stereo, 1960). PS-The fade in the green across the cover from left to right is a scanning artifact I couldn't fix, I'm not sure why it's doing that. I scanned the cover in two parts from left to right, each pass in the same direction, so why the color changes, I don't know.  I'm not as good in Gimp as I wish I was, or I'd be able to fix it.  But there aren't enough days in the season to make each album cover as good as I would like.


1. Joy To The World-Deck The Halls-The Wassial Song
2. Carol Of The Bells-The Little Drummer Boy
3. The Christmas Song
4. Hark The Herald Angels Sing-Away In A Manger-It Came Upon The Midnight Clear
5. White Christmas
6. Oh, Little Town Of Bethlehem-The First Noel
7. Oh, Tannenbaum-Angels We Have Heard On High
8. Silent Night
9. Jingle Bells-Winter Wonderland
10. We Three Kings Of Orient Are-God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
11. What Child Is This?-The Coventry Carol
12. Adeste Fideles

MEGA

5 comments:

  1. Love this album, Ernie. Thanks for the remaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kapp records had its share of hits through the 50s-60s. but it was the good share of a small record label. when you read about its founder david kapp and his brother jack, you begin to wonder why this one didn't become something greater.

    there but for fortune...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is really nice...Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The SEREOPHONIC sound on this album is exceptionally good! Ernie. Thanks so much for the remaster, It's top notch.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...