Thursday, December 15, 2005

Buck & Susan (Not Roy)


Here's some more Christmas goodness from 1971 for you. A little-known Christmas album from Buck Owens, this time with the relatively unknown Susan Raye. I don't know what possessed Buck to remake some of his earlier Christmas hits as duets, but that's exactly what happened. Must have been love, I guess. Anyhow, I don't think there's anything on here that you haven't already heard on Buck's two earlier Christmas albums, and he does remake his biggest hits here, including Santa Looked A Lot Like Daddy, Santa's Gonna Come In A Stagecoach and One Of Everything You Got. So download and give a little listen to this curiosity that the CD industry has forgotten about, Merry Christmas From Buck Owens & Susan Raye (Capitol ST-837, 1971).

What's up with these two albums from 1971? Neither one of them has a cover that is even the least little bit Christmassy. I almost feel bad posting them. But the music should make up for the lack of festive covers today.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Ernie, a copy of this just went for $127 on Ebay. It's highly prized. The Lynn Anderson also fetches quite a few bucks. CD's of it are going in the $70-$90 range!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I had no idea Buck Owens had a 3rd Christmas album out there (even tho it's remakes as you said). I know at one time his "Christmas Shopping" LP was out of print for years. I tried to find it unsuccessfully for a long time til it was reissued on CD. I'll have to put this one on CD for my parents, as they're big fans of Buck's. Thanx for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi friend, I want to know if you have to Lenny Dee and his album HAPPY HOLLI-DEE, if you have this lp please post it in this blog or leave a link where i can download it with good quality, I hope your comments my name is CARLOS ISAAC AMAYA MURRIETA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sundazed has reissued most of Buck's solo LP's on CD but, for whatever reason, have omitted the duet LP's with Susan Raye and Buddy Alan (Buck's son). Must be some sort of royalty issue.

    Like Ivanett, I never knew this album existed. Not sure the remakes are really an improvement over the originals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I feel these songs aren't as good as duets, but then I'm not a big fan of duets either. To hear them this way, and by 2 singers with different vocal ranges, is kinda odd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi mate,
    I have been trying rather despertely to get a copy of Buck and Susans album. I grew up listening to this over the Christmas holidays and would love to have my kids listen to those songs over Christmas. Can you please post this on you blog. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...