Monday, December 28, 2020

39-Ladies Sing Christmas 3

Three days past Christmas and I'm not slowing down yet.  We'll see how long I can keep this up. Being three days past the big day, I figure it's appropriate that I give you the third part of my series of Ladies singing Christmas songs. It's sort of a generic theme, but it's a good one, and one of my more popular posts back during the season proper. I'm sure you'll find this third installment an excellent addition to the other two, even if you have to save it away to listen next year. It'll be worth the wait, I assure you. As always, I sourced the 78 RPM rips from the excellent collection at The Internet Archive and their Great 78 Project. After the holidays I need to get serious about boxing up my 78 collection and sending it off to them as a donation. I'm excited to hear all of what's in there, and they may be able to get it ripped much better and faster than I ever will, and you'll all be able to enjoy the fruits of their effort. If you have a collection of 78s and nothing to do with them, I encourage you to consider a donation as well, they'd really appreciate it.  In the meantime, here's a new Christmas collection for you. Enjoy!

MEGA

Update-5 Jan 2023-Added a tracklist for searchability.

1. Jimmy Dorsey And His Original Dorseyland Jazz Band-Vocal Chorus By Pat O'Conner-Dixieland Band From Santa Claus Land
2. Vincent Lopez And His Suave Swing Orchestra-Vocal Refrain By Penny Parker-Hello Mr. Kringle
3. Spike Jones And Solo By Linda Strangis And The St. Mary's Magdalen Choir-I Want Eddie Fisher For Christmas
4. Red Norvo And His Orchestra-Vocal Chorus Mildred Bailey-I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm (From "On The Avenue")
5. De Castro Sisters-Snowbound For Christmas
6. The Pinetoppers With The Marlin Sisters-Ting-A-Ling - A Jingle
7. Mary Healy With Cy Feuer And His Orchestra-When Winter Comes (From "Second Fiddle")
8. Kate Smith, Orchestra Conducted By Jack Miller-White Christmas
9. Mary Carton With Mickey Carton's Orchestra-Christmas In Killarney
10. Gayla Peevey With Mitch Miller And His Orchestra-Got A Cold In The Node For Christmas
11. Raquel Rastenni Med Harry Felberts Sekstet-Jeg Saa Julemanden Kysse Mor (I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus)
12. Connee Boswell And Russ Morgan And His Orchestra-Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
13. The Fontane Sisters, Dick Contino And Hugo Winterhalter's orchestra-Silver Bells
14. Shep Fields And His Rippling Rhythm Orchestra-Vocal By Thelma Gracen And Ensemble-The Christmas Symphony
15. Little Rita Faye With Instrumental Accompaniment-The Miracle Of Christmas













9 comments:

  1. Ah, the de castro sisters - one of my favorite songs as well, top of the heap for me this season for sure - thank so much - now, please, get that dang parakeet records out of my mind..... Greatly appreciated there kind sir - Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I wasn't going to share that one since I had the 45, and it was just an acetate, but I got curious about what was on the flip side. It wasn't labelled, but the IA had ripped it anyway. Turns out it's just the same song, but it's pitched a little differently by either speeding it up or slowing it down. I don't remember which side was faster or slower right this second, or how either side compares to the 45 version. It was also in a little rougher shape on the unlabelled side, but I thought this side came out pretty decent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Healy's version of Irving Berlin's "When Winter Comes" is new to me and reinforces my belief this song should be in the living repertoire of Christmas classics. And let me add a stray thought. Don't you wish that Eddie Fisher had recorded a reciprocal song, "I Want Spike Jones for Christmas." Spike's version, with its "O Mein Papa"-like trumpet just deepens the humor of the record. I hope more ladies are lined up for appearances soon. And I can't wait to see what New Years-related stuff you found. Thanks for a wonderful Christmas season--and completing everyone's collection of lost Spike Jones' Christmas records.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see Gayle Peevey rode her hippo into this excellent collection, along with Little Rita Faye.

    I think I may have posted the 45 of that DeCastro Sisters record many years ago. I know I own it.

    Mary Healy actually was one of the leads in Second Fiddle, although she did not sing the song If Winter Comes in the film - Rudy Vallee did. I know this because I published a Healy collection earlier this year that includes that record and other songs from the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments! As Buster points out, this version shouldn't be new to anyone as he shared it out before. But I download stuff all the time that I don't remember, so I know it happens.

    And Buster, I think Rudy Vallee is still in the pile to be shared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy to receive a little more of Little Rita Faye. Thanks, Ernie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pete-I just read that there is another Little Rita Faye Christmas single out there, but I don't have it. Keep an eye out for me at Ameoba, will ya? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure if you knew Ernie, but Amoeba closed its location on Sunset and is due to open in a new space a couple of blocks over on the corner of Hollywood Blvd and Argyle Ave (diagonal from the Pantages Theatre). The store is still currently finalizing things and awaiting a decline in covid cases before they'll open....but when it finally happens in the new year I'll keep my eyes peeled!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew they closed, but I didn't know they hadn't reopened yet. That's gotta be a real strain on their business, but I guess nothing out of the ordinary for 2020. :(

    I'm glad I got to visit that location before it closed. :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...