Tuesday, December 29, 2020

40-White Wonderland

Taking a look at the files I have left in the stack to share, I realized that I had too many versions of White Christmas and Winter Wonderland to be able to share them out one at a time and still fit them all into the season. So I decided to combine the two songs and put them all into one post. But then I second guessed myself and decided it wasn't enough versions for you. I went back into The Internet Archive and found nine more versions that I thought I could share (along with the associated B sides where appropriate, for sharing elsewhere), and made this into a megapost. This may be the biggest one yet, outside of that huge Frank Luther pile that really wasn't as popular as I'd hoped, but it's still pretty big. If you like version upon version to compare and contrast, then this is the download for you. Two great songs that sound great together. Enjoy!

MEGA

Update-5 Jan 2023-Added a tracklist for searchability.

1. Guy Lombardo And His Royal Canadians-Vocal Chorus By Tony Craig-White Christmas
2. Phil Brito With Ted Dale & Orchestra-White Christmas
3. Ralph Flanagan Og Hans Orkester-Refrain: Harry Prime-White Christmas
4. Harry James And His Orchestra-Vocal By Marion Morgan-White Christmas (Featured In The Film "Holiday Inn")
5. Johnny "Scat" Davis And His Orchestra-White Christmas (From Paramount Film "Holiday Inn")
6. Gordon Jenkins And His Orchestra-Guest Vocalist Bob Carroll-White Christmas (From Paramount Film "Holiday Inn")
7. Song Spinners-White Christmas (From Paramount Picture "Holiday Inn")
8. Freddy Martin And His Orchestra-Vocal Refrain By Clyde Rogers-White Christmas (From The Paramount Film "Holiday Inn")
9. The Ellingtonians With Al Hibbler-White Christmas
10. Fred Waring And His Pennsylvanians-Glee Club And Orchestra-Winter Wonderland
11. Angelo Ferdinando And His Hotel Great Northern Orchestra-Winter Wonderland
12. Guy Lombardo And His Royal Canadians-Vocal Chorus By Trio-Winter Wonderland (From "Ziegfeld Follies")
13. Ted Weems And His Orchestra, Vocal Refrain By Parker Gibbs-Winter Wonderland (From The "Ziegfeld Follies")
14. Buddy Clark With The Girl Friends, Orchestra Under The Direction Of Ted Dale-Winter Wonderland
15. Vic Damone With Orchestra And Vocal Accompaniment-White Christmas
16. Artie Shaw And His Orchestra-Vocal Chorus By Gwenn Davies-White Christmas
17. Jack Russell And The Honey Dreamers-White Christmas
18. Hugo Winterhalter's Orchestra And Chorus-White Christmas (From The Paramount Film "Holiday Inn")
19. Al Hibbler With Orchestra And Chorus Directed By Jack Pleis-White Christmas
20. Johnny Long And His Orchestra-Vocal By Francey Lane And The Ensemble-Winter Wonderland
21. Li'l Wally And The Lucky Harmony Boys Orchestra, Vocal: Lenny & Judith-Winter Wonderland
























7 comments:

  1. An incredible collection - I haven't heard most of these. Thanks for everything, with the possible exception of L'il Wally, Lenny and Judith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep meaning to mention that I appreciate the alternative labels you include.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Buster. I didn't start out the collection grabbing all the label variations I could find, so there are more the be had at the IA in many cases. But I think they're pretty neat, especially the foreign versions. And they probably make more senses in my personal collection where they're in folders with the tracks together. As I share them out, they're kinda lumped together with a lot of other artwork.

    And it occurred to me the other day that by not posting track lists, I'm never going to be able to find specific posts in the future... :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you keep a text file with the contents, artists and collection names on your hard drive, you should be able to find them without too much trouble. Or so I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! Just what the doctor ordered: a multiplicity of the two most famous secular Christmas anthems. Now if someone could only find a decent version of Chick Bullock's version of "Winter Wonderland," I think I would have every worthwhile version of this song in my collection. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Choices are good! One for this mix, one for that.
    Etc.
    Quite frankly, I'm having a blast. I hope you are too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David-You told me that version was at the IA, but I couldn't find it. Some things just don't seem to come up in searches sometimes...

    Raven-It is a blast, but some days it's a lot of work. Thankfully I had a lot of it in the can this year before the season started. Still plenty of work to get it posted and shared though. And I like to think of this season's shares as a series of mixes, so I've been very hesitant to share out a bunch of versions in a single batch, but as you can see, I tend to break my own rules. I think there are even two versions in here by the same vocalist...

    Thanks again for the comments! They're what keeps the blog going!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...