Monday, December 25, 2017

The Voice Of Christmas

One of my favorite finds this year was a V-disc from World War II featuring a track by Bing Crosby.  I see these V-discs every once in a while, but this is the first time I've ever seen a Christmas one. I'm sure there are plenty of them out there, and people have collected them up and put together collections and done all sorts of things with them, but this is the first one I've ever done anything with, and I'm sharing it with you guys for Christmas.  I'm writing this up ahead of time, but shortly after Midnight Christmas morning, this is going to pop up at the blog as my gift to you.  I had a little trouble getting the EQ right on this one, so I had to get a little help from my friends Lee (at Music You Possibly Won't) and Buster (over at Big 10-Inch Record).  I don't remember who's work I used, so I'm going to credit them both and thank them very much for their help.  These records were new technology at the time and the sound isn't what you might hope for, but it's performances you're unlikely to find elsewhere. Bing only sings one song here, the other two are just by 'Chorus And Organ', not a very popular group, I'm afraid.  But it's Christmas.  So Merry Christmas to you!  This is V-Disc No. 48 (V-Disc VP 140/141, Mono).

1. Bing Crosby, Chorus And Orchestra-Silent Night
2. Chorus And Organ-Joy To The World
3. Chorus And Organ-It Came Upon A Midnight Clear

Zippyshare

9 comments:

  1. Thank you, Ernie, for the many great shares. I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

    Thanks,
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very neat and special Christmas gift, Ernie. Thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Ernie! So glad to see you're still collecting and posting to the net. Thank you for continuing to share all of your treasures with us (and then some!). Many best wishes to you and yours for the season and through the new year.

    Best,
    Pete (Three Suns/Truman Capote)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any chance to hear another track from my very favorite singer of Christmas cheer is an exciting thing for me. Thank you so much and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas Everyone! Here is some information regarding this V-Disc in case you were wondering.

    V-Disc Series B, 30 Records, V-Discs 31 through 60, Released November 1943

    V-Disc 48 A&B - NBC Program Reference Recordings - Recording Date Unknown

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ernie, thank you so much for sharing your Christmas music with us over these many years. It is greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2018 link...

    https://mega.nz/#!hIMBGS7A!maK4M6nEG4ebmGc8BzyGO67Xdrd7IaOoUz9MAlaqad8

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...