Sunday, December 24, 2023

Record Clubs, Part IV

If you thought that last share was massive then you're going to love this one. This one covers three full slabs of vinyl and they aren't short sides. I had at one time thought this one was a superset of the last collection due to the inclusion of many of the same oddball titles, but a comparison of the two proves them to be two completely different recordings. I do again believe this is the work of multiple performers, conductors and arrangers though, and again most likely English in origin. They didn't even bother to credit this set to a made-up ensemble, they just left any name off completely. I've seen some people credit the producers or engineer as the artist, but I don't think that's right, so we'll just go with Unknown Artists for the time being. This is Unknown Artists-The Glory Of Christmas (3xLP) (Columbia Musical Treasuries 3xLP P3S 5356, Stereo, 1967). (In case you're joining us here in the middle, this record is part of today's theme of music that was exclusive to record clubs from the major labels.)

1. Carol Of The Bells
2. I Saw Three Ships
3. For Unto Us A Child Is Born
4. Here We Come A-Caroling
5. Jingle Bells
6. What Child Is This? (Greensleeves)
7. O Tannenbaum
8. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
9. We Wish You A Merry Christmas
10. Caroling, Caroling
11. O Holy Night
12. Patapan
13. The Christmas Song
14. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
15. Peter And The Wolf (Excerpt)
16. Ave Maria (Schubert)
17. The Twelve Days Of Christmas
18. Adeste Fideles
19. Away In A Manger
20. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
21. Toyland
22. Good King Wenceslas
23. Come, Dear Children
24. In Dulci Jubilo
25. Deck The Halls With Boughs Of Holly
26. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
27. Glory To God In The Highest
28. O Little Town Of Bethlehem
29. Nutcracker Suite (Excerpt)
30. Gesu Bambino
31. Prayer From "Hansel And Gretel'"
32. Silent Night, Holy Night
33. White Christmas
34. The Little Drummer Boy
35. The First Noel
36. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
37. Joseph Dearest, Joseph Mine
38. When Christmas Comes
39. The Holy City
40. Do You Hear What I Hear?
41. Joy To The World
42. Angels We Have Heard On High
43. Silver Bells
44. Some Children See Him
45. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
46. O Come, O Come, Emmanuel
47. I'll Be Home For Christmas
48. Hallelujah Chorus

MEGA


 
Perhaps you don't like the idea of uncredited music, or maybe a three record set is just too much for you. Well, in that case I've got another share for you. This set consists of only two records, but all the songs can be found on the three record set above and they are the exact same performances. They're now credited to Terry Baxter, an imaginary person that Columbia credited with many of their record club special releases. His name is on a lot of stuff they put out, but nowhere else. If he's real, there are a few researchers who'd like to talk to him for his side of the story. I don't personally think he's ever going to turn up, but I've been wrong before. You really don't need this share, but I recorded it all and I'm going to share it. This is Terry Baxter, His Orchestra And Chorus-The Glory Of Christmas (Columbia House 2xLP P2S 5756, Stereo, 1967). Again, this duplicates the first two records found in the set above, just with an artist credited.


1. Carol Of The Bells
2. I Saw Three Ships
3. For Unto Us A Child Is Born
4. Here We Come A-Caroling
5. Jingle Bells
6. Greensleeves (What Child Is This)
7. O Tannenbaum
8. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
9. We Wish You A Merry Christmas
10. Caroling, Caroling
11. O Holy Night
12. Patapan
13. The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)
14. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
15. Peter And The Wolf (Excerpt)
16. Ave Maria (Schubert)
17. The Twelve Days Of Christmas
18. Adeste Fideles
19. Away In A Manger
20. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
21. Toyland
22. Good King Wenceslas
23. Come, Dear Children
24. In Dulci Jubilo
25. Deck The Halls With Boughs Of Holly
26. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
27. Glory To God In The Highest (Pergolesi)
28. O Little Town Of Bethlehem
29. Nutcracker Suite (Excerpt)
30. Gesu Bambino
31. Prayer From "Hansel And Gretel"
32. Silent Night, Holy Night

MEGA

11 comments:

  1. I agree, Ernie. For years, I have been trying to figure what artists the tracks sound so similar to, but haven't been able to yet. At first, I assumed they must be artists that had recorded for Columbia over the years. Alas, I couldn't get anywhere with that idea, eg... The Mormon Tabernacle Choir; The Philadelphia Orchestra, they recorded with over the years... again, no where. Why was Columbia so secretive with this. I came to the conclusion that it must be a "studio group and orchestra" so I called them the Columbia Treasures Orchestra and Chorus. Who knows...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SecondHandSongs.com does list Terry Baxter, and his groups as the artist(s) for much of the Columbia Treasure albums... But again, who knows...

      Delete
    2. They used that name a lot, but I'm sure he didn't exist. Someday scholars will figure this all out. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ernie,
    Thank you for posting these Mail Order/Record Club sets. I have a few others. Time-Life, RCA, and of course Columbia. I cannot get enough of them. They are like greatest hits/best of collections. I also love the few albums I have downloaded that the department stores, service stations, tire stores and the likes released.
    I also, love instrumentental albums and collections. You can just play them and either listen to them or use them for background music. After awhile, you get tired of the vocals. At least I do, for the simple reason I have mentioned in several earlier comments. Thanks for sharing these. They are most welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ernie,
    I see from my above comment, and this one too, they are now posted as Annoymous. I guess I will have to correct this.
    But the main thing is, I wish Meredith and yourself a much needed holiday and a good deal of rest on this Very Holy Day. Again, Bless you both.
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marry Christmas to you as well!! Thanks for all the comments!

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas and thank you Ernie!

    It seems the date for the 3-LP set is 1969. Another Record Club set called The Best of ’69 was Columbia Musical Treasury P2S 5332. Also, the 1967 offering was A Golden Treasury of Christmas Music (Columbia Musical Treasury P2M 5169 / P2S 5170). The catalog number of the abridged 2-LP set indicates 1973 or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be. I think I grabbed a date from Discogs and they're not always correct and rarely documented. When I add a date over there, I try to include a link to my source, usually a mention in Billboard. Surely there are ads for the record club somewhere...

      Delete
  5. I grew up with the first Glory of Christmas set; it was one of the few records in my Nana's Christmas album collection that I did not keep when she gave me her records in April of 1999. I enjoyed her RCA Camden Perry Como Sings Merry Christmas Music and her copies of Albums 2 through 8 and 10 of Goodyear's Great Songs of Christmas series a little more than this one. Maybe it was too sedate for my tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without any 'name' artists on it, it's a tough sell. Some good stuff here and there though.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...