Thursday, November 25, 2021

Where To Start?

I often agonize about where to start each Christmas season, what to share first, and I'm never super satisfied with the final choice. I guess it really doesn't matter, so why worry about it? This year, I had no idea, so I'm just going to go with this swell 10" LP from Jan Garber that I'd been looking for and only recently found. This was one of the few big band Christmas LPs that I was missing (the only other one I can think of right now is Ralph Flanagan's Holiday Inn. A little help?) and I found it at the record store less than a week ago. It's not the best Christmas record ever, but it's certainly not the worst. It's also pretty short. This is Jan Garber And His Orchestra-Under The Christmas Tree (Capitol 10" 33 RPM H9008, 1951).

1. Winter Wonderland 

2. White Christmas 

3. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town 

4. The Christmas Waltz

5. Here Comes Santa Claus (Right Down Santa Claus Lane)

6. Deck The Halls

7. The Bells Of St. Mary's

8. Jingle Bells


MEGA

And while I'm at it, Mr. Garber released a single the year before this that wasn't included on this album. I grabbed a copy of it from the Internet Archive, so if you download it and add it to the LP, you get a little bit more music for the same price.

1. Blue Christmas

2. What'cha Gonna Get Me For Christmas


MEGA


17 comments:

  1. Thanks Ernie. Yes, a crazy year, but with your lovely holiday gifts, it brings a little joy and makes it that much better for all of us.

    All best,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is so wonderful. Thanks for sharing and providing such detailed information and images. You put such hard work into your blog and I sure appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you never shared this before? I honestly can never keep track. I usually figure if there's any album I have a rip of and I don't know where it came from, it came from you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ernie!

    Your posts have very much become a part of the yearly holiday festivities, so it's a pleasure to have you back once again. Thanks in advance for all of your time and work.

    All the best,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all! I appreciate you're returning for another year of Christmas madness.

    And if you're wondering, I shared out a later Jan Garber Christmas LP in mono, but I think that one showed up on the streaming services at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen this one - at least it doesn't look familiar. I do have the 12-inch Decca.

    I can't wait to listen to this!

    Thanks for the bonus. (I love bonuses.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to your blog every year and you never disappoint. this is a great start to the year. one I haven't seen before. thanks for sharing this.
    I do have Ralph Flanagan - Holiday Inn. It is a wonderful album that you never ever see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks, Ernie! Hope you and yours are safe and well, and will enjoy the season to come. Glad to add this to the handful of Jan Garber songs already in the library: Jumpin' Jimmy Christmas & I'll See You In My Dreams (and a non-Xmas recording of Baby Face). Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Ernie! I have a rip that was shared by Cheerful Earful (remember them?) way back in 2007. I have the date of this as 1949, though. You can find it advertised in the 11/26/49 Billboard magazine. Thanks again! —Randy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheerful Earful shared this back in the day? I'll have ask him about it. And the date difference may be when the original on 78 came out versus the 10" LP.

    Thanks for all the comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ernie, that 11/26/49 Billboard ad lists all 3 formats -- 78, 45, and 33.

    https://books.google.com/books?id=Ww4EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA23&lpg=PA23&dq=jan+garber+H+9008&source=bl&ots=xuHMS4xvYR&sig=ACfU3U1IwEl4rL893w3tjQfZj2svrr7suw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwin3Yr91Lv0AhXSnWoFHcN4B64Q6AF6BAgNEAM#v=onepage&q=jan%20garber%20H%209008&f=false

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I guess I stand corrected! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great album cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am, as always, running late so I'm just going to download each day & say a quick thank you but I did want to post a (slightly) longer note on the first download to say thank you for all the music & all the work you put into getting these ready & posted for us. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you heard this Jan Garber LP? I would say it's pretty outstanding. https://www.discogs.com/release/6404024-Jan-Garber-And-His-Orchestra-Christmas-Dance-Party

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, all, for the comments! I do have that other Jan Garber record, though it took some time to find the stereo version. :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...