Saturday, November 27, 2021

Christmas 1964

Well, Thanksgiving is done, Black Friday/Record Store Day is gone, What else is there between now and Christmas Day? Well, a whole lot of Christmas music, me thinks! And if you're busy putting together your Christmas mix tapes today, I've got a little something special for you. This is an album sent to radio stations from Capitol Records back in 1964, and it features Christmas Seasonal and other greetings from their then-current roster of artists. You may not need a message saying congratulations on your power increase, but who wouldn't love a jovial Merry Christmas? Featured artists are Nat King Cole, Nancy Wilson, Andy Griffith, Freddy Martin, Kay Starr & Ray Anthony. And each of those artists gives you a little message for Station Anniversary, Power Increase, Celebration, Holiday & Christmas. There's bound to be something on here for every listener! This is Programming Aids From Capitol (AKA Capitol Programming Aids on the label) (Capitol PRO 2744/2745, Mono, 1964). I've been looking for more Kay Starr Christmas for a long time, so this is a very special find to me.

MEGA

10 comments:

  1. This is certainly dandy - you know how much I love this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forget to come by here some years but I remembered this year and in time for Christmas. Good to see you're still bringing Cheer after all these years! Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I just love stuff like this. Thank you so much. And yes, a Kay Starr Christmas album would have been awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, folks! I was really excited to find this record. There are a few more similar ones floating around out there, maybe I'll keep getting lucky. Or maybe a nice anonymous benefactor will come my way... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always amazed at what you find, Ernie. How did you even know this was a thing in order to search for it? It's delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes you just stumble across stuff at Discogs while you're poking around. But there's a whole lot of promo stuff from Capitol in this era, so I'm sure there's more out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have several of those Capitol promos, but most of them do not include spoken messages and none are holiday-themed, to my recollection.

    I have an LP with the same cover as the one you posted, but it may have different contents. I can't remember, and in any case, I have no idea where it might be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, there are not a lot with the messages on them, but I think there was at least one each season that featured Christmas music. I've got one of at least two in the Silver Platter series that featured a whole radio show on one side with Christmas music and interviews (The one I don't have features The Beach Boys' Christmas Album and has Brian Wilson in the studio chatting. You can imagine what it sells for...) But there are others that featured abridged versions of current Christmas songs from the big artists. Some of them have really cool covers. I wish there was a better way to find them at Discogs, but you kind of have to stumble on them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah yes, the Silver Platter series. I do have some of those, but not one with the Beach Boys, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...