Wednesday, August 04, 2021

CiJ 2021-Part 9 (In August)

Time for another installment of Christmas In July! Are you excited? I hope so!

1. Silent Night by The Adult Choir Of The Congregational Church Of Manhasset, New York, Ministry Of Music-Robley And Jean Lawson from Sacred Music (No Label, G8-OP-8168/8169, Mono, 1956). Not the best place to start the day, but it gets better.

2. Lazy Holiday by The New York Percussion Trio-Murry Solomon, Guest Bass-Ray Wright, Conductor & Arranger from Holidays For Percussion (Vox ST-VX 25.740, Stereo, 1958). Another great track from this great LP, though the connection to Christmas is tenuous at best.

3. December In Your Heart by Glenn Yarbrough from Let The World Go By (RCA Victor LSP-3983, Stereo, 1968). Kinda odd, in that I had never heard this song before, then I found two versions of it this season for Christmas in July, each under a different title. You never know what's going to happen when it comes to old records.

4. Fire And Ice by Robert Frost from Robert Frost Reads The Poems Of Robert Frost (Decca DL 9033, Mono, 1957). Short and sweet.

5. Polonaise From "Christmas Night" by The United States Navy Band-Lieutenant Commander Anthony A. Mitchell, USN, Leader from A Musical Salute To You-Zero Defect Presentation Record (Naval Air Systems Command (AIR-5024) For The Naval Material Command Zero Defects Program XSV 124950/124951, Stereo). One of my first rips for the season, and a good one.

6. Greensleeves by Korla Pandit from Korla Pandit At The Pipe Organ (Fantasy 3286 Translucent Red Vinyl, Mono, 1959). I was excited to find this because somehow Korla Pandit records have escaped me all these years. I don't even have his Christmas record. It must be a regional thing because they seem to be common in other areas, but I never see them here in Florida.

And that's it for today.  Download and enjoy!

MEGA

2 comments:

  1. You don't see much of Korla around here either, although I do have one or another of his records. Not the Christmas one, though. I think he was biggest in California.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect Fantasy had poor national distribution. I don't see many of the old Cal Tjader albums either. Eventually they signed CCR and things got better. :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...