Monday, November 28, 2011

Masterwork

I knew it was going to be like this.  It's hard to post anything when you don't get off work until after dark.  But I'm going to try to soldier on.  Tonight is a little something I thought was pretty special, for a couple different reasons.  First, it's pretty rare that I see a record I've never seen before, and such was the case with this one.  And when I found the sleeve, it didn't have the right record in it.  I went through an entire rack of records looking for the sleeve that matched the record I found in this one, in hopes that this record was in that sleeve, and thankfully that's where I found it.  Second, if you look close at the album cover, you'll see a few familiar names.  David Wayne has narrated another record I've shared here before (I should probably throw that one up again, I think I remember someone asking for it).  Ralph Hunter is the man behind the incredible Christmas Surprises, a favorite share every year.  And Ashley Miller has an organ track on a Command LP that I've shared here as well.  And Norman Vincent Peale, well, I think he wrote the story, but for the most part I think they just attached his name for the star power.  This appears to be a tie-in to a book he wrote and released in 1956 that didn't prove to be quite the big deal that had been anticipated.  But it makes for a nice share.  This is The Coming Of The King-The Story Of The Nativity In Music And Words (Columbia Masterworks ML 5165, Mono, 1956).  Side one is the story of The Nativity, narrated by David Wayne, choir conducted by Ralph Hunter and organ by Ashley Miller.  The flip side is a nice selection of carols by The Columbia Carolers.  All good stuff.

1. The Coming Of The King
2. Silent Night
3. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
4. O Little Town Of Bethlehem
5. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
6. The First Nowell
7. Deck The Hall
8. It Came Upon The Midnight Clear
9. Good King Wenceslas
10. O Come All Ye Faithful
11. Joy To The World
12. The Coming Of The King

MediaFire

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Ernie - I have this LP, but have not been able to get a good transfer from it, although I've tried a couple of times. It's of particular interest to me because of the music by American composer Don Gillis (who also was the producer of Toscanini's NBC broadcasts).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Buster, I hope my transfer meets your standards. I didn't recognize the name of Don Gillis, is he any relation to Dobie?

    This seemed like a pretty high profile release (based on the ads in Billboard), but it must have flopped. I've never seen another copy of it.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...