Saturday, November 25, 2006

Moog Madness Returns

One of my readers was kind enough to point out a number of shares from last year that I hadn't reuploaded. Oddly enough, it turned out that when I went to look for those recordings, I couldn't find them. For some reason, they didn't get filed away with all my other rips. So, I had to go back and do some re-recording. This is the first one of those. The sound should be better on this one than what I gave you last year, anyway. I know the cover of this one is in much better shape than the one I scanned last year. Also, I'm sharing stuff at a slightly higher bit rate this year, so even if the vinyl weren't cleaner (and it is), it will sound better. But blah-blah, blah, you just want to get some great music, don't you? Here's the second greatest Moog Christmas LP ever recorded, The Moog Machine-Christmas Becomes Electric (Columbia CS 9959, 1969).

For those of you that have read this far, how would you like a secret share? I found an awesome moog version of Handel's Messiah on an LP by Ralph Carmichael called The Electric Symphony (The MOOG Synthesizer). The rest of the record is mostly original compositions with a Christian theme that you really don't need to hear. But this track I'm sharing? WOW! You gotta hear this! It's going on my annual Christmas CD for sure. So here is The New Hallelujah "Handel's Hallelujah Chorus" by Ralph Carmichael & Clark Gassmann from The Electric Symphony (The MOOG Synthesizer) (Light LS-5541-LP).

5 comments:

  1. hey ernie, annie again!

    well, i made way through your past links (i gushed about them in a previous comment) and have been steadily having some of the best listening of my life! again, thanks a million.

    i was bummed when i saw this album hadn't been re-upped... i figured it might have been rereleased on cd or something. so, i was quite pleased to cruise over here today and see it up. i'm listening to it now, and busting a gut. it's great... a moog "carol of the bells?" come on! that's awesome. it's like going carolling with Hal 9000 or something.

    so, thanks a bunch for this, and for the great stuff you've uploaded so far this year. that fred waring nutcracker suite is totally choice! i'd been afraid any lyrics added to that instantly recognizable score would be kind of corny, but they're actually quite charming and well done. so bravo for sharing that, what a great find!

    i can't wait to see what comes next...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie!

    As I mentioned elsewhere, I have no idea what I did with this recording after Christmas last year. I even went back to my original discs with the original WAV files, and it's not there. I guess I deleted them because it wasn't as good as the Sy Mann Moog record. Well, probably not, but who knows. Now if I can only find that Crackerjack Christmas record...

    For a real treat, hunt down the Spike Jones version of The Nutcracker. You can buy a copy over at Basic Hip, and he may be streaming it for the holidays. It has lyrics, too, and they're a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just for the record, I got the last missing share up finally. Crackerjack Christmas was a single song posted last year on Christmas Day. Go get it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallelujah! I can't tell you how excited I am to find your good rip of the Carmichael/Gassmann Hallelujah Chorus. This became somewhat of a family tradition in my house as a kid. Dad would always wake us up Christmas morning by playing this track extremely loud on his B&O turntable, pumped through a huge NAD amp some wall-sized speakers. What a great way to wake up. I have the original LP, but it's in pretty bad shape and I haven't been able to get a good rip from it. Thanks so much for allowing me to continue this somewhat offbeat tradition for years to come. Cheers! P.S. I'm watching the Moog documentary right now and that is what inspired me to try again on my oft-repeated web search for this track.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cleaned up cover art:

    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/dftw5

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...