Sunday, December 03, 2023

Harping On Christmas

Early in the morning and time for the daily reshare. This is a great and somewhat lost album that RCA made for their record club. I've been sharing it regularly since 2005, my very first year of blogging. I guess it was mono back then, but I got hold of a fancy stereo version the very next year and kept it in rotation ever since. I used to think that Christmas records focused on the harp were rare, but that's not entirely true as we'll see today. But we start out with this oldie from Gene Bianco who's been a friend of the blog for a very, very long time. This is The Rainbow Sound Of Bianco, His Harp And Orchestra-Joy To The World-Everybody's Favorite Christmas Music (RCA Victor CSP-104, Stereo, 1962). Enjoy!

1. Medley: We Wish You A Merry Christmas; Silent Night
2. White Christmas
3. Jingle Bells
4. O Holy Night
5. Medley: Away In A Manger; The First Noel
6. Medley: Adeste Fideles (O Come, All Ye Faithful); Joy To The World
7. Oh Little Town Of Bethlehem
8. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
9. Silver Bells
10. Medley: Hark! The Herald Angels Sing; Deck The Halls
11. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
12. Medley: Sleigh Ride; We Wish You A Merry Christmas

MEGA (Tracks)

MEGA (Uncut)

One thing I've done different this time around is offer a version as recorded on the vinyl where the tracks have very little gap in between them. It plays almost like a long medley on each side, though I think it's just edited that way. I've always shared out the tracks and was used to it that way, but when I went back to the original vinyl for the remaster this year, I thought it might be a good idea to offer it the other way for a change. Your choice!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks! I don't think I've actually ever heard this LP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good 'un! Probably because of the added orchestra, but the harp is very much a big part of it. Kinda reminds me of that John Klein Christmas record that adds in orchestra to great effect. Much better than just his usual carillon.

      Delete
  2. From harpist Gene Bianco's Easy Listening period on RCA. He cut two great Jazz harp albums for RCA Camden in the late-'50's, then worked behind the scenes for such major modern-day names as Mary J. Blige into the 2000's. Here is more on his career:

    https://spaceagepop.com/bianco.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think those other LPs on Camden are as good as this one, but you're mileage may vary. I think I may have shared one of them around here many years ago before I went all-Christmas, but that was a long time ago...

      Delete
  3. Hi Ernie, What a beautiful album. It was another one to listen to out and about. Glad you reposted /re-shared it.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...