Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Christmas In July 2018-Day 44

Is it really day 44?  No, it's actual day 53 or something like that, but I missed a few days over all that time.  So we'll just keep on soldiering forward until we get to the end, no matter how many days it's been or how many days it takes.  But I'm hoping it doesn't take too many more days.

1. The Big Clown Balloons by The Merrill Stanton Voices, from that great Christmas musical Meredith Willson's Here's Love (Columbia CL 2099, Mono, 1963).  This isn't the official soundtrack, but you see it a lot more frequently.

2. Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy by Ernest Ansermet With The Royal Opera House Orchestra, Covent Garden, from Ballet Favorites-Highlights From The Nutcracker, Carnaval, Coppelia, Giselle (RCA Victrola (Canada) VIC-1066, Mono, 1964).  I've been going easy on you with the Nutcracker stuff here lately.  Hope you appreciate that.

3. A Dreamer's Holiday by Eileen Wilson And Gordon Jenkins And His Orchestra from Dreamer's Holiday (Vocalion (Decca) VL 3615, Mono, 1958).  Nice little song, but not the type of holiday we celebrate around here.

4. Long, Long Winter by The Impressions from Keep On Pushing (ABC-Paramount ABC-493, Mono, 1964).  Pretty rare to find a seasonal track like this from a name band, but here you go!

5. Pastores Dicite (Speak, Shepherds) by The Sistine Chapel Choir from The Sistine Chapel Choir Sings-The Vatican Pavilion At The New York World's Fair (Kaye Records SC 1000, Mono, 1964). More fun from The Vatican.

6. The Toy Trumpet by Helen Westbrook At The Mighty Wurlitzer Oriental Theatre, Chicago, and the LP Helen's Holiday-The Little Mite At The Mighty Wurlitzer (Replica 10" 33 RPM 33x512, Mono).  A ten inch record I didn't have the other day when I shared out all 10" tracks.

7. Brassman's Holiday by Ralph Wolf At The Wurlitzer Theatre Pipe Organ from Holiday For Pipes (Concert Recording CR-0093, Stereo).  Every time I think I've gotten to the end of the organ tracks, I find another stack.  It's never ending I tell you!

8. Carol Of The Bells by The Ringing Bells-Rachael Kuivinen, Director, from Christmas Music/Bicentennial And Old Favorites (United Methodist Church Of Chagrin Falls, Ohio 6093N9, Stereo, 1976).  I think this album is going to be the deciding factor in how long I decide to drag out Christmas In July.  There were 18 hand bell tracks on here I wanted to share, and I'm not very far into that.  So unless I start doubling up, that's how many days are left.  We'll see.  Wish I'd pulled this LP out at the beginning of the month, we might be done already.

9. Merry Christmas by Melanie from Born To Be (Buddah BDS-5024, Stereo, 1968).  What a surprise this was.  I picked up the album because I recognized the cover artist (Mozelle Thompson), but when I opened up the gatefold, there was a Christmas track!  I knew Melanie had a Christmas song back in the day, but I thought it was a single.  And it ain't bad.

10. This Day Is Born In Bethlehem by The Choir Of The Church Of Saint Mary-Rev. John J. Bonzagni, Director, from The Choir Of The Church Of Saint Mary-Lee, Massachusetts (Vogt Quality Recordings 2xLP CSRV 2754, Stereo).  Am I done with this one yet?  Gotta be getting close.

One thing I do know, I'm done with this share for tonight.  Hope there's something in there you enjoy!

Zippyshare

5 comments:

  1. i’ll admit that i’m not a fan of the organ. and while neither “the toy trumpet” nor “brassman’s holiday” are virtuoso pieces, they both were nonetheless written to take natural advantage of the special physicality and resulting sound of brass instruments. when played on an organ, they turn into musical mush. i realize that there was a time when the organ was considered the cutting edge of musical technology… the instrument for all seasons. but there are limits. and helen westbrook… well, i’d have been charitable and given her a metronome. i think raymond scott would have given her a blindfold and a cigarette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be happy to know then that I've got two more Helen Westbrook track to share with you. Something to look forward to! And I've got a couple of tracks where the record is pressed off center or warped that I feel the need to share for some reason. Those are going to make you insane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE off-center records!!

    they're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Dreamer's Holiday record is actually from 1949. (The Vocalion is a reissue.) Perry Como had the hit version. It's a song I like!

    You're right about that Merrill Staton record. That was also true of the Greenwillow LP you shared the other day. My favorite is the Perry Como version of Mr. President.

    Melanie had a tendency to shriek, which is not an attribute I favor in my vocalists.

    I have to give you and barba credit for actually listening to all these organ records. (Also the off-center pressings.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun. Off center pressings are quite interesting to listen to in this digital age. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...