Sunday, August 19, 2018

Christmas In July 2018-Day 40

Forty days (and forty nights)!  Seems like only yesterday I started sharing out Christmas music with you, but it's been almost two months.  Surprisingly, there's still some good stuff in the pile.  I keep thinking it's got to come to an end sooner or later, but then I find another clutch of records that I really want to listen to and get out there into the wild.  So we'll keep going, at least for a while.  The audience seems to be shrinking, which is a little bit of a surprise, but I guess not too much.  It was never a large audience to begin with, but you know.  To those of you still hanging around, thanks for your support!  Hopefully these shares will still be available come December so more folks can enjoy these obscure gems.  Anyhow, what's in the pile?

1. Baby, It's Cold Outside by The John Parker Orchestra from The Sound Of Conversation In Music (Medallion (Kapp) ML-7504, Mono, 1960).  I'd not seen this record before the other day, and it's not bad.  Wish I'd found it in stereo though, since it is part of a series of stereo showcase records. It's a whole series of songs that are frequently heard as duets with a bunch of back-and-forth, so I'm sure it's better in Stereo.

2. Chinese Dance by Ernest Ansermet With The Royal Opera House Orchestra, Covent Garden, from Ballet Favorites-Highlights From The Nutcracker, Carnaval, Coppelia, Giselle (RCA Victrola (Canada) VIC-1066, Mono, 1964).  Not sure if I cut this one into the right pieces.  The first 1/2" of vinyl was heat damaged, so I couldn't start at the beginning.  I came up with too many tracks, and the lengths of the ones I did get didn't match anything from when I shared the same record back in 2009.  Maybe I'm overthinking this...

3. Des Santificatus (Day Sanctified) by The Sistine Chapel Choir from The Sistine Chapel Choir Sings-The Vatican Pavilion At The New York World's Fair (Kaye Records SC 1000, Mono, 1964).  I've been to the site of the 1964 World's Fair in NYC, also the site of the 1939 fair.  It's a nice little park, and there are a lot of pieces left here and there.  Not sure if it's worth the subway trip way out there, but if you're looking to kill some time in NYC...

4. Green Sleeves by Eddie Layton On The Hi-Fi Organ from No Blues On This Cruise (Mercury MG 20308, Mono, 1957).  The random Christmas tracks I've dug up from Eddie Layton over the years all seem to be better than the tracks on his actual Christmas record.  I wonder why that is?

5. I Saw Three Ships, artist unknown, from Now And Long Ago-Silver Burdett Songs From Music For Living-Album 10 From Book 3 (Columbia 10" 78 RPM Microgroove JS-330, Mono, 1956).  Leftover track from Ten Inch Record day a couple days ago.

6. March Of The Toys by Skitch Henderson, His Piano And The Stereosonic Strings from Autumn In New York (Mount Vernon Music MVM 107, Mono).  Yes, The Stereosonic Strings in mono.

7. Moonlight In Vermont by Chris Connor from Chris Craft (Atlantic 1290, Mono, 1958).  My copy is scratchy beyond words, but you'll get the idea.

8. Angels We Have Heard On High by The Ringing Bells-Rachael Kuivinen, Director, from the LP Christmas Music/Bicentennial And Old Favorites (United Methodist Church Of Chagrin Falls, Ohio 6093N9, Stereo, 1976).  Just found this record way back in the archives today, and knew I needed to share it, even if it takes the rest of the month to get through all the track on it.  It's handbells!!!

9. Dream Of A Doll by Al Bollington At The Conn Organ from Organ Hues In Hi-Fi (Dot DLP 25110, Stereo, 1958).  The title may say hi-fi, but it's in stereo, aren't you excited?  I ripped a lot of organ records today, and I've got plenty to go.  There is no shortage of organ music hereabouts, no matter what you may hear on the news.

10. 'Twas The Night Before Christmas by Glen Ridge High School Concert Band With John De Mado, from Glen Ridge High School Band In Concert Highlights '71-'72 (Silver Crest GLE91672, Stereo, 1972).  Possibly the best thing I recorded all day, but you're going to wish you could see what was going on when this was recorded.  And I kid you not, the cover is a closeup shot of some crumpled aluminum foil.

That's it for today, plenty of good stuff in there.  Enjoy!

Zippyshare

7 comments:

  1. Hey, I bet that handbell album came from our foray into the thrift stores about 10 years ago. I don't imagine you found it in Sarasota. Or maybe you did, from the retirees who lugged their Christmas music with them as they escaped from the nasty winters hereabouts. They were probably also the source of some of the endless supply of organ records you have assembled for our pleasure or disdain, as the case may be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. damn. that was some band they had there in glen ridge. most high school bands have much more in common with the portsmouth sinfonia than this. i can only imagine what their aluminum foil must be like.

    say, for anyone reading this, how about giving old ernie a howdy-doo here in the comments. he doesn’t like always seeing the same hands. and i’ve almost used up all my good jokes. it'll be bad ones from here on out 'lessen you fill up the space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't say it on each post, but I do think it, Thank you Thank you Thank you! Year after year Ernie has brightened my and my family's holiday season. If joy one brings to others garners karma points, Ernie is the Karma King!

    Many people don't take the time, though they should, to drop an occasional thanks, Ernie has to know by the download count how much he means to so many. Don't know where you get them, or if they're more trouble than they're worth, but some sites have a simple button click to register their thanks for a post ... may not be a comment but at least it's a bit of an acknowledgment of the time & effort spend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll echo the Blue Carbuncle's sentiments - thank you, Ernie! I look forward to discovering the gems you've mined each morning in July and I couldn't be happier that you're still going strong now it's August! I'm incredibly grateful for the time and effort you put into this - it makes a real positive difference to my day. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. pd says..

    Given the good spirit in your heart, every day is christmas...
    thank-you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coming in late on this one! Regular reader - although I am pretty sure I missed some of the summer postings because of an insane family schedule. :) It's nice to scroll back through and pick up some things I missed. Thanks Ernie!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...