Friday, August 10, 2018

Christmas In July 2018-Day 35

Wow, 35 days so far!  Not even close to a record, but still a long time.  I'm too tired to type it all up tonight, I'll try to get the titles and whatnot in there tomorrow for you, unless some kind soul posts it in the comments for me like happened last time.  And I get more downloads if I don't tell you what's in there, I wonder why that is?

Zippyshare

(The next day...)

OK, let's see what's in the pile.

1. The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas To You) by Mel Tormé from Gene Norman Presents Mel Tormé At The Crescendo (Coral CRL 57012, Mono, 1955).  Recorded live in 1954, I think this is Mel's first recording of his song written in 1945.  My copy of this LP is pretty beat, so I apologize for the sound quality here.

2. Epiphany by Ray Middleton-Choir & Music Under Direction Of Howard Barlow from the LP Ten Protestant Holy Days (Candle CAN-111, Mono, 1957).  Still not a big fan of this guy...

3. Holiday For Strings, a rare vocal version by The Voices Of Walter Schumann from The Voices Of Walter Schumann-Lyrical Music For Listening (Capitol-The Star Line T-297, Mono, 1962).  I believe this is a straight reissue of an earlier LP, only for Capitol's budget Starline series.

4. In The Bleak Mid-Winter by The Lycoming College Choir-Walter G. McIver, Director, from Let Us Break Bread Together (Lycoming Records LLP 500, Mono). These guys seem to be a step above most of these self-recorded groups.

5. I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm by Alice Faye, from one of her early movies and released on Alice Faye In Hollywood (1934-1937) (Columbia CL 3068, Originally Recorded 1/24/37, Mono, 1969).  I've been hunting for Christmas music by Phil Harris, but haven't turned anything up yet.  All I've been able to find is this song from his wife.

6. Angels We Have Heard On High by The Choir Of The Church Of Saint Mary-Rev. John J. Bonzagni, Director, from The Choir Of The Church Of Saint Mary-Lee, Massachusetts (Vogt Quality Recordings 2xLP CSRV 2754, Stereo).  A rare double album from a church group.

7. Ave Maria by St. Albans Childrens Chorus-Lucille Burney, Director-Ruth Perkins, Accompanist, from St. Albans Childrens Chorus Sings (No Label SXB-600/-601, Stereo).  One of the better kiddie groups I've featured around here, or at least one of the better recorded.

8. The Bells Of St. Mary's by Roger King Mozian And His Orchestra from Spectacular Is The Sound For It! (MGM SE3883, Stereo, 1960).  I'm thinking that I've shared this before, and maybe from the original LP, not from this label sampler.

9. A Child Is Born by Tony Rice from The New Acoustic Music Sampler (Rounder AN-02, Stereo, 1984).  This seems to have been written by Dave Grusin, so I'll need to see if I can track down a version by him.

10. Greensleeves by Dick Schory's Percussion And Brass Ensemble from Runnin' Wild (RCA Victor Stereo Action LSA-2306, Stereo, 1961).  Can't go wrong with anything from the Stereo Action series!

4 comments:

  1. Just me and barba are downloading the files - 500 times apiece.

    Seriously, it's the curiosity factor, of course. I can't wait to see what organ, kazoo and Nutcracker selections you have tonight.

    Can you keep this going until Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, then right after Thanksgiving, you can start with the normal Christmas music posts again.

    I'm downloading these files too, but I haven't yet had time to listen to everything. I hope to get to it all by, umm... Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fellow travelers, I did the first half of ID-ing the songs, got pulled away onto the rest of the agenda, putting this in here to give someone else a head start and, also, for whatever corrections are needed and notes/conjecture/comments you choose to provide.

    A Child Is Born; Tony Rice; Rounder AN-01; The New Acoustic Music Sampler; 1984

    Angels We Have Heard On High The Choir Of The Church Of Saint Mary-Rev. John J. Bonzagni, Director; Vogt Quality Recordings 2xLP CSRV 2754

    Epiphany Candle CAN-111 Ray Middleton-Choir & Music Under Direction Of Howard Barlow Ten Protestant Holy Days 1957

    In The Bleak Mid-Winter Lycoming Records LLP 500 The Lycoming College Choir-Walter G. McIver, Director; Let Us Break Bread Together 1999

    The Bells Of St. Mary's MGM SE3883 Roger King Mozian And His Orchestra; Spectacular Is The Sound For It! 1960

    Ave Maria No Label SXB-600/-601 St. Albans Childrens Chorus-Lucille Burney, Director-Ruth Perkins, Accompanist; St. Albans Childrens Chorus Sings

    Ernie, thank you so very kindly for all your very greatly appreciated efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ernie: Thank you as always. Buster: loved your downloading comment. I know I'm not guilty of more than one though. :P

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...