Tuesday, August 07, 2018

Christmas In July 2018-Day 33

33 days in and it feels like I just started!  So many things I wanted to share this month and I don't think I'm going to get to even half of it.  I suppose that means more for next year, right?  But I've still got plenty of time, Christmas doesn't start until Thanksgiving, right?  OK, what's in the pile tonight?

1. The Reindeer Hunt by Riz Ortolani from the soundtrack LP Ecco (Warner Bros W 1600, Mono, 1965).  No, it's not Christmas, but with a name like that, how could I not throw it in here?  Remind you of anything?  Carmina Burana perhaps?  That's what I heard...

2. The Skaters--Waltz by The Carnegie Pops Orchestra-Conducted By David Broekman, from the album Pops In The Park (Harmony (Columbia) HL 7113, Mono, 1958).  As I mentioned before when I shared another track from this album, this is a reissue of an earlier Masterworks album.  At least this time it wasn't on big clunky 78s.

3. Skating In Central Park by The Modern Jazz Quartet from Patterns (United Artists (Capitol Record Club) SW-90835, Stereo, 1960).  I was a little confused by the catalog number on this one until I realized it was for Capitol's record club.  I actually had two copies of the LP in the pile, but when I pulled one of them from the sleeve, it was a mono copy in a stereo jacket.  And this was the other one.  Sound is a little rough, but you can still give it a listen.

4. Snowflakes by Skitch Henderson, His Piano And The Stereosonic Strings, from Autumn In New York (Mount Vernon Music MVM 107, Mono).  Hands down, my favorite track of the day!  Just imagine what this would sound like in Stereo!  Not sure where this music comes from or if it's really Skitch.  Looks like a budget label to me, but the tracks sounded OK.  And there was no fine print saying "And Toots McStitch" so that they could pass off the rest of the tracks.

5. Dance Of The Sugar-Plum Fairy, today's Nutcracker installment by Dom Frontiere from Mr. Accordion-Dom Frontiere Plays Classical Favorites (Liberty LST 7008, Stereo, 1958).  I need to record some more Nutcracker stuff before the end of the month, just to get it out of the way.  Makes nice filler. :)

6. Deck The Halls by St. Albans Childrens Chorus-Lucille Burney, Director-Ruth Perkins, Accompanist, from St. Albans Childrens Chorus Sings (No Label SXB-600/-601, Stereo).  Pretty good for kids singing.

7. I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day by The Simon Sisters from The Simon Sisters Sing The Lobster Quadrille And Other Songs For Children (Columbia Children's Record Library CR 21525, Stereo, 1969).  I've shared this with you before from a later reissue that apparently had some additional instruments dubbed onto it.  This is the second issue, so it didn't come with a book, but it is the raw recordings.  And in case you don't know, one of the Simon sisters is named Carly.

8. Sleigh Ride by Marco Rizo, His Piano & Orchestra, from Leroy Anderson In Latin America (Forum SF 9039, Stereo, 1960).  Love this version, shared it quite a few times now.  Uh-oh, the right channel in my amp just started buzzing...  It's always something. I hope that's just in the playback and not in the recording.  Anybody heard anything odd in the downloads?

9. Nantucket Sleighride by Mountain from Mountain Live-The Road Goes Ever On (Windfall-Bell 5502, Stereo, 1972).  Not sure if it's Christmas but it sure is long!

10. Satin Doll by Onzy Matthews And His Orchestra from Blues With A Touch Of Elegance (Capitol ST 2099, Stereo, 1964).  I thought this was old when I bought it, so I was surprised to see the 1964 date.  Looks late fifties to go by the cover.  I guess they were trying to bring back the big bands in the face of The Beatles.

And that's it.  One more night in the can.  Enjoy!

Zippyshare

5 comments:

  1. That Skitch number is with the Stereosonic Strings, but it's in mono? Shouldn't it be the Monosonic Strings?

    I keep worrying I will miss one of the Dom Frontiere Nutcracker tracks. Keep going until they are all shared, please.

    Nice collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the reindeer hunt… yeah, carl orff followed by some max steiner (king kong steiner, not gwtw steiner), and about two seconds of leonard bernstein. he couldn’t sustain the bernstein. no one can. i like the miked-up lower line on the st alban’s “deck the halls”. you can barely hear the melody for a change. it reminds me of the bad tapes made of various groups i was in as a student. something was always wrong with the tape. i remember this one time, a rather imperious mrs von mayrhauser sat down near the microphone, not knowing it was there, and began a string of derogatory remarks about the performance, the school, the teachers, parents, etc. we students only got to hear a little of it because we were laughing so hard, it attracted the attention of the director who, after a chuckle or two, realized this was potentially a keg of dynamite. tape confiscated and consigned to oblivion. (but from time to time, we’d overhear faculty members laugh and say that mrs von mayrhauser was going to get them.)


    @buster: “the monosonic strings”. you’re killing me. you’re killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Thank you. Particularly glad that Lucy and a young Carly get another chance to be heard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I was always under the impression that the Christmas season every year actually starts on Dec 26. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. @kwork: “the Christmas season every year actually starts on Dec 26. :D”. well, i used to live in spain in the late 70s and early 80s. and i can tell you that back then at least, christmas was a nothing holiday there. the day of celebration in that season was the “day of the three kings” that took place in mid-january. people then would dress up as the three wise men and parade through the streets passing out “penny candy” and sunflower seeds to the kids. on the other hand, easter (semana santa) was an elaborate and prolonged affair for which preparations were made all year round.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...