Sunday, August 05, 2018

Christmas In July 2018-Day 31

As is my custom, the 31st of July is when I celebrate New Year's Day in July.  Now I know it's August, but we're just going to keep on pretending.  One thing I will not pretend about this year is the fact that I'm going to keep going for a while longer.  I've got plenty more to share, and I've spent the weekend doing almost nothing but ripping records to make sure I can keep up for a while longer.  If for no other reason, I've got to make these piles smaller.  I can't carry this many record until July of 2019.  I've got to make room for new stuff!  Anyhow, happy fake New Year!  Let's see what's in the pile.

1. Auld Lang Syne by Jimmy Shand And His Band With Chorus from the Robert Burns tribute LP The Immortal Memory (Parlophone (EMI) PMC 1077, Mono, 1959).  Three more years and this little label would be the biggest thing in the world!  But at this point, they were releasing some pretty dodgy stuff.

2. Happy New Year by Chris Connor And Maynard Ferguson from Double Exposure (Atlantic 8049, Mono, 1961).  For my money, this is the best track in the pile today.  I've shared out several versions of this track over the years, including three different recordings by it's author, Gordon Jenkins.  So maybe I just have a soft spot for it.

3. January: Look Ahead by The Mariners With Orchestra And Chorus Under The Direction Of Archie Bleyer, Introduction By Arthur Godfrey, from Arthur Godfrey's TV Calendar Show (Columbia CL 521, Mono, 1953).  I've shared it before, and I'll share it again, but it's still good stuff!

4. New Year's Eve And Day by Ray Middleton-Choir & Music Under Direction Of Howard Barlow from Ten Protestant Holy Days (Candle CAN-111, Mono, 1957).  Once again, he's the worst track of the day.  Was there a script to this?  At times it seems he's making it up as he goes.

5. Violets; Tell Me Why; Auld Lang Syne by Living Voices from Living Voices On The Campus (RCA Camden CAL-715, Mono, 1962).  Didn't think we'd go allmonth without hearing from the Living series, did you?  Not sure if this is the only time, but maybe.

6. Auld Lang Syne by The Banjo Barons-Arranged And Conducted By Teo Macero And Marty Manning from The Banjo Barons Play Music For Happy Times (Columbia CS 8889, Stereo, 1963).  Last track from this record, I'm afraid.  Shame they didn't do an entire Christmas record.

7. Auld Lang Syne by Bob Johnson And The Lonesome Travelers from Twelve Shades Of Bluegrass (Parkway SP-7017, Stereo, 1963).  Good bluegrass from the same label that was pushing out Chubby Checker.  Imagine what a duet that could have been!

8. Auld Lang Syne; Vieni Sul Mar by Eddie Williams And His Orchestra from Fiesta Non Stop Vol. 2 (Polydor (Germany) 236791, Stereo).  Not sure I want to hear volume 1 of this.

9. For The Sake Of Auld Lang Syne by The Vocal Majority from All The Best From The Vocal Majority (Private Pressing VM-5000, Stereo).  One more barbershop song I've been saving for you.

10. To The Year That's Away (Scottish) by The Belafonte Folk Singers-Robert Corman, Conductor, from the LP Cheers-Drinking Songs Around The World (RCA Victor LSP-1992, Stereo, 1959).  A Scottish New Year's track that's not Auld Lang Syne?  Well I'll be! BTW, his name was really Robert DeCormier, not sure when/why he swapped back and forth, but I've seen it credited both ways.

And that's it.  again, Happy New Year to you and yours!

Zippyshare

4 comments:

  1. Nice collection, if you leave out the banjos and the barbershop crew. I bet Chubby could do bluegrass - he did the twist, the limbo and "Hooka Tooka," so why not. I have that Belafonte record, and I did not know that Robert Corman was Robert DeCormier. Reading your stuff is educational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always been a big Maynard Ferguson fan. And Chris Connor's good, too. Might even put that one in one of my mixes this year. Thanks for that and...Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. never been much on new years'. nothing happy about it. and certainly nothing weepy. as my elmer fudd keeps getting worse, mostly i just forget what went on during the year. probably just as well. i'm glad it's in august this year. they keep telling me there are eclipses of the sun and the moon in august. but i won't see them because i'm in the wrong place. anyway, my eyes are shot. macularly degenerate. it's my grand fashion statement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good pile today. The Chris Connor and Bob Johnson sound particularly interesting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...