Monday, December 27, 2010

Just This Side Of Crazy

OK, here's one I really should have gotten out at the beginning of the sharity season, but I didn't have both records or the picture sleeve.  I'm not even sure where to begin.  Dora Hall was married to the owner of Solo Cups.  She wanted to be a famous singer, so her husband decided to facilitate that.  He gave away her records with the cups and put her on TV in her own specials surrounded by the best stars his money could buy, but all in vain.  As far as anyone knows, no one ever bought a single one of her records, but they're thrift store staples to this day because they were free.  But the ones I have weren't free, I had to buy them, and the owner of the record store looked at me funny when I did.  Actually, before the sharity season began, I had the record and sleeve you see above, and I was pretty excited about finally having a sleeve.  The ones down below all showed up later, including both a new single I didn't have, and another issue of the same single with a new picture sleeve and label.  Some years ago, I shared out the flip side of the one above, Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree.  I shared the Blue Christmas side over at FaLaLaLaLa a few years back, but never here.  The single below was completely new to me a couple of weeks ago, and boy was I excited.  I'd always wondered where all the covers of the great Aretha Franklin song Kissin' By The Mistletoe were, and here I stumbled onto one.  Unfortunately, like all of her releases that I've heard, it's not very good.  Dora Hall was probably in her sixties when she embarked on her singing career, and while the instrumental accompaniment is the best that money could buy, her vocals leave a lot to be desired.  You'll see.  Please download a couple of singles from Dora Hall (Premore PR 10028 & Calamo PR 1024/1025 aka Premore PR 1025).  Is there any more Christmas music out there by Mrs. Hall?  If so, please let me know!

Blue Christmas
Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
Give Me Your Heart For Xmas
Kissin' By The Mistletoe

RapidShare
MegaUpload
MediaFire

3 comments:

  1. Thank you.

    Yeah, I know, they charge money (in capital letters) for these, now.
    I managed to get one of her LPs in good condition for a fairly reasonable price, but I had to wait a long time and pass on a whole bunch that were just overpriced.

    These are the only holiday recordings on her "discography" -- you'd figure she'd have done a whole album, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. *~* Thanks man! *~*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever come across her single for Ole Tex Kringle/Great Big Friendly Town, Chicago? (Premore 1280) It's in Tim Neely's book but I've never seen one in the wild and didn't find any mentions on the web. There's also "Let There Be Peace/Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree" (Premore - No Number) - I found a sleeve for that one but no vinyl (yet). -Laurie

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...