Saturday, November 28, 2009

Slim Versus Tex

Do me a favor, head on over to The Tuna Melt and download Voldar's share of Tex Johnson And His Six Shooters-Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, then come back here and download Slim Boyd & The Rangehands-Christmas Country Style-Go Tell It On The Mountain (Premiere XM 11, Mono). Now listen to the tracks that both records have in common. Anything sound familiar? Yes, I think it's just another repackaging job from the fine folks at Synthetic Plastics. Not that the music isn't good, it's just become rather tainted by the repeated re-releases, re-titling and re-artisting. At this point, it's just become a rehash. Anyhow, speaking of re-releases, I first shared this with you in 2006, I think, and I had a stereo version ripped for sharing this year when I lost my hard drive. Maybe next year...

1. Go Tell It On The Mountain
2. On December 5 And 20
3. Wagon On Christmas
4. I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day
5. Jeanette Isabella
6. Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
7. The Night Before Christmas
8. A Santa Claus Greeting
9. Have A Merry, Merry Christmas
10. Silent Night

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the link to The Tuna Melt. His version of this album is the one that I remember from childhood, but under a different cover and artist. Tex Johnson and the Six Shooters must be undercover aliases for Cactus Jim and the Wranglers because that's the album I have with identical tracks; album is called "Western Christmas."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found that this exists in stereo as well. Hence the XM/S 11

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I had it recorded in stereo before the big crash. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently found a 3 record box set that included this lp as record number two. Cool stuff!!!
    https://www.discogs.com/Choir-Of-100-Golden-Voices-Jesse-Crawford-Slim-Boyd-And-The-Rangehands-Family-Favorites-For-Christma/release/8756999?fbclid=IwAR1yMOYZMJPVETd6GPeegGHSb2HzP6GYaERlEXkwhvGgmyvSw1O4-oUHLaU

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...