Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Bird's Nest In The Hand


Right before I went and shot the shuttle launch, I was at my parent's house. And Mom pointed out these weird things growing in one of her flower beds. Unfortunately, it was after dark when she showed them to me. It took me almost half an hour of setting up the flash and a tripod to get this picture of the odd fungi she'd discovered. Turns out that this is some sort of bird's nest fungi, not altogether uncommon, I guess. I'd never seen it before. You can see how the little structures inside the opened pods look like eggs in a nest. What you lack here is some sort of scale. Each of those openings is about 3/16" across. The little pieces of wood are toothpick-sized mulch.

2 comments:

  1. To me, they look more like a pot pie crust with rocks in them.

    Glad I viewed this *after* eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like baby land oysters to me...

    Lex

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...