Thursday, November 24, 2005

Christmas Echoes

Well, it's the afternoon after Thanksgiving lunch, which to me means it's the official start of the Christmas season. I mentioned that to my Grandmother at lunch, and she disagrees. She said it's not right to listen to Christmas music until tomorrow. but luckily for you, I didn't listen to her. I've been listening to and recording Christmas music since not long after Christmas ended last year, and now it's time to share some of the goodies I've found. I've got many, many old vinyl records recorded and converted to MP3 files, I've scanned the covers, and now I'm ready to share it. There are lots of great sites out there doing the same thing, and many of them will have better and more interesting tunes, and probably cleaner copies. Most of my vinyl cost $1.00 or less, so it's not in the best shape, and I don't have any fancy noise filtering software, so you are going to get what you get. But for what I lack in quality, I hope to make up for in quantity. So check back in often, and see what's new.

My first share is also probably my oldest share. I believe this record dates from exactly 50 years ago. It's George Feyer's Echoes Of Christmas (Vox VX 25010, 1955). Download and enjoy! It's tinkly, cocktail lounge piano music, and it all runs together. So you're getting two tracks, side one and side two. I didn't know what to expect when I got this, but I really loved that cover. Turns out that George Feyer made a whole series of albums through his career, all called Echoes Of something. It makes great background music, or if you happen to own an elevator, you're gonna love it!

Please note, I'm using RapidShare.de for my posts. When you click on the music link, you'll be taken to a screen where you have to choose between a paid download or the free version. You are welcome to select the paid version, get a memebership, and download like a madman. Or you can select the free version. On the next page after you click the Free button, you have to scroll to the bottom and wait for the countdown to reach zero. Then a link will appear and you can download the Zip file containing the music and the cover scans. If you have downloaded anything else from RapidShare within the past hour, you'll have to wait until the hour is up. It's a bit of a pain, but it means these files will be hosted indefinately. They'll either go away if they don't get downloaded for 30 days, or they'll go away really quickly if I get a nasty email from the RIAA. Let's hope neither one of those happens.

Good News And Bad-I received an email from George Feyer's daughter-in-law last night, and she tells me that the family is in the process of making all his recordings available for legal download. That's the good news. The bad news is that I can't share it with you anymore, but I think the good outweighs the bad. So keep checking back and hopefully I'll have some information about when and where you can download some tasty GeorgeFeyer.

4 comments:

  1. Ernie is the man! He's already shared a lot of his great finds with me, so you folks are in store for some great stuff!

    Thanks, Ernie!

    The King of Jingaling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks King! I hope some of the stuff I share will compliment your stuff. And I like your classic avatar over your new-fangled one, too. But that's just me, I'm old fashioned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do not imagine how long time I have been trying to get this record!

    Thank you very much, I assure you that it will make our Christmas much more enjoyable.

    Merry Christmas and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I wish you'd put this album up again. I paid Amazon for the download--it wasn't even the complete record, nor was the sound very good--sounded like heavy-handed noise reduction on a tape recording of the old LP. I tried to buy one on ebay but it was cracked in transit. :-( Guess I gotta keep looking.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...