Christmas In July 2026-Part 39
Good morning, welcome to day 39, the last day of regular Christmas in July posting around here for 2026. This won't be the last post of the season, there are still a couple days of stuff to come, but this is the last normal day. And because I didn't plan ahead very well and found an odd number of shares, there are eleven songs in the pile today instead of the usual ten. So enjoy!
1. Sergio Mendes-My Favorite Things (Sergio Mendes' Favorite Things, 1968)
You wouldn't believe how bad a shape the cover of this record was in, but I bought it anyway just to have another song to share with you. Pretty sure we've done this one in the past, but when I see 'em, I need to buy 'em.
2. Unknown Artists-Pine Cones And Holly Berries (With It's Beginning To Look Like Christmas) (From The Score Of Meredith Willson's Here's Love 10" 33 RPM)
This is the last of the songs from the publisher's demo LP of tracks from the then-new Broadway production of Here's Love, or at least that's the general consensus of what this 10" LP is. No matter what it is, it's filled with great new versions of the songs from the Christmas-themed play.
3. The New Hope Singers, Soloist-Jan Umphress-Bethlehem Town Canticle (New Hope For You!)
This is the headline track of the day and it's the most interesting thing in the stack by far. It's a version of Simon & Garfunkel's Scarborough Fair, but with new lyrics all about Christmas! Give it a listen and I'm sure you'll recognize the tune. I love finding little things like this.
4. Will Glahé And His Orchestra-The Skater's Waltz (The New Beer Barrel Polka, 1965)
A rerun that goes way back to the early days of Christmas In July around here, but always worth a revisit. Who doesn't love a good polka version of the classics?
5. Eydie Gormé-Winter Night (Love Is A Season, 1959)
Been holding this one back all season long, it's the very best track from this LP by Eydie Gorme. If you haven't heard it before, you're in for a real treat. Sorry this is the mono version but beggars can't be choosers. I'm sure there's a stereo version around the blog on one of the Christmas in July best-of collections if you want to hunt around, but I'm too lazy to link to it right now.
6. Joan Morris And William Bolcom, Piano-White Christmas (The Girl On The Magazine Cover-Songs Of Irving Berlin, 1979)
A nice version of an actual Christmas tune here for you. Interesting cover on this, too. Looks like I've shared this with you before, but I don't have any memory of it. Must not leave much of an impression.
7. Sauter Finegan And Their Orchestra-Midnight Sleighride aka Sleighride (The Return Of The Doodletown Fifers, 1960)
This is a remake of my favorite track by Sauter-Finegan. It's a mid-century modern reinterpretation of a tune by Prokofiev and it's a great lost wintry tune. The only real improvement here over their original recording is the use of stereo, but they make the most of that.
8. Moe Koffman-Swinging Shepherd Blues (The Magic Flute Of Moe Koffman, 1984)
A version of this song by it's author, something else I've been hanging onto until the end, so here it is. Looks like he recorded this song quite a few times so I need to keep an eye out for his other versions.
9. The Shawnee Choir-Earl Willhoite, Director-We Praise Thee, O God (Christmas And Concert Songs For Mixed Chorus)
The last of the tracks I was able to pull from this LP for you. You're still missing two songs that were on the outermost edge of this heat-damaged LP. Someday I'll find a good copy and we can revisit this one.
10. Jenson Publications-Holiday For Winds (Sound Ideas For Concert Band Vol V, 1979)
The last of the left-over tracks from last year, and something else from an LP full of publisher's demos. Love these little bits of filler. I doubt if I'll ever want to hear them again, but I like finding and sharing them with you.
11. Unknown Artists-Sleep, Baby, Sleep (Songs For Kindergarten Children, 1970)
And bringing up the rear on this slightly-longer collection today, this is the last track from the Christmas side of this record for upscale kiddies.
And that's all I've got. Come back tomorrow for the customary Chanukah in August, and then the next day for a thinly veiled surprise that shouldn't come as too much of a surprise if you've been hanging around here long enough. Wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know what I mean...



.jpg)







Really nice selection, with some of your greatest hits. I also like how you said you were too lazy to provide a link to something you linked to.
ReplyDeleteWill be looking for those Sauter-Finegan and Sergio Mendes albums for sure! The Mendes track, even though it was released in '68, could be a reissue of earlier material he released prior to his signing with Herb Alpert's A&M Records. (His version of "The Christmas Song" appears on the BF Goodrich promotional Christmas LP Something Festive!)
ReplyDeleteWas not surprised that Will Glahe re-recorded "Lichtsteiner Polka" for the album you featured, considering the fact that a lot of legacy acts were re-recording their greatest Hits in Stereo during the mid-to-latter half of the '60's.
ReplyDeleteAmazing run this time around! You brought lots of great gems to the table, several of which I never knew existed! Thanks so much.
ReplyDelete