Saturday, August 01, 2026

Christmas In July 2026-Part 32

Welcome to the first day of Christmas in July in August! We don't often go this long, but this year has been very generous with the records, so we're doing what we need to do and going long.

1. Poldi Zeitlin, Pianist-Winter Morning (Tchaikovsky 24 Pieces For The Piano-Masterwork Series For The Young Musician, 1952)

This is the last track from a long series of songs from this album. I don't think it was quite the whole side, but it was a big chunk. They're all nice little piano pieces, some of them even sounded like Tchaikovsky to my untrained ear, not sure why.

2. The JM Choral Group-Novices And Postulates Of The Religious Of Jesus And Mary-Mother Marie Laetitia, R.J.M., Director-Ave Maria (Patterns In Song, 1960)

And this is the last of a few tracks by these singing nuns-in-training. I don't know why, but I always enjoy the nuns.

3. The Parris Mitchell Voices Featuring Chips Murphie-We Need A Little Christmas (The Parris Mitchell Voices Sing The Hit Songs From Sweet Charity-Fiddler On The Roof-Mame-Man Of La Mancha, 1966)

Great Christmas track that turns up in the middle of this otherwise normal album. I've shared this one with you before, but now you get to see the cover, so enjoy.

4. Boston Pops Orchestra-Arthur Fiedler, Conductor-March Of The Toys (Great American Marches, 1976)

I'm not sure, but I think this record was a compilation of previously recorded stuff, they just pulled together everything they had that could be called a march and put it on one record. Good version though.

5. The Yoder Families-On Christmas Night (Come Let Us Join Our Cheerful Songs)

I was just in the thrift store a couple days ago where I found this record, and I found the record below there. You just never know, but you find more if you go a lot. I recommend at least three times a day, but you can go more if you like.


6. Camarata Conducting The Kingsway Symphony Orchestra-March Of The Toys ("Babes In Toyland") (The Great Victor Herbert, 1975)

Oh, great, I'm sharing this song for the second time today. How do I let this happen? Quality control is out of control around here, I'm going to have to speak to a manager!

7. Jenson Publications-Joyous Season (Jenson Publications Presents...Warner Bros. Finest For Concert Band, 1983)

What's this? A publisher's demo track? I thought we were done with those. Where did that manager go?

8. Joe Reisman And His Orchestra And Chorus-The Ice Skater (On The Wings Of Romance) (Sid And Marty Krofft's Les Poupées de Paris, 1964)

And we're finally down to the highlighted album of the day. I was not aware of this LP at al until it turned up at a goodwill store a month of two ago. I was going to buy it before I saw that there was a winter track on it, so finding that was just a bonus. This is one of the only songs on the album that doesn't feature a guest star, but Joe Reisman is enough for us. (Check out more Joe Reisman Christmas in the archives, and be sure to check the comments for a working link!) Other songs on the album feature a galaxy of guest stars that would make a great episode of The Love Boat. Bing Crosby, Pearl Bailey, Milton Berle, Phil Silvers, Gene Kelly, Liberace, Cyd Charisse, the list just goes on and on. And it's all in support of a puppet show from Sid & Marty Kroft! I had no idea this thing existed. Now I need to find it in stereo, that'll probably take another 20 years of searching.

9. Lou Fortunate-I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony) (Hurray For God!, 1973)

I just liked this one for the cover.

10. Toy Band-Toy Symphony-2nd Movement (March And Dance With Toy Band-My First Golden Record Library Volume 10)

Last and least is a short track from this kiddie record. You'll recognize the tune, or at least I did. Does this track have the random narration on it, I didn't remember if it does or not. Either way, doesn't matter, it's still better than those snippets of Greensleeves that I was sharing before.

And that's it, the first post of August. Still a few more to come so keep checking back.

MEGA









2 comments:

  1. Loved the Ice Skater with Reisman's outfit, had no idea either of Les Poupees de Paris (even though I was at the '62 Seattle Worlds Fair - ok, I was 3 but still...) - looked it up and there is a couple of YouTube clips - bit of a fever dream for sure and seeing the audience clap rather enthusiastically for adult themed puppets - well, that's a sign of the times back then for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Fiedler LP is on RCA Gold Seal, so it almost certainly was a reissue or compilation reissue.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...