Monday, July 27, 2026

Christmas In July 2026-Part 27

Day 27, just another day around these parts to be honest. I've got nothing interesting to say about it. On to the music... 

1. Gooding Amusement's German Organ-Silent Night (Christmas With The Gooding Band Organ, 1984)

Last track from this LP, I promise. I checked.

2. Paul Mauriat And His Orchestra-The Little Drummer Boy (Listen Too! The Fabulous Paul Mauriat Orchestra, 1965)

No idea why this Christmas tune showed up on this album when he'd release a full Christmas album just two years later. Maybe it was a dry run, I dunno. Was it a single track that got subsumed into an American release? I'm too lazy to do the research right this second.

3. The Banjo Barons-Arranged And Conducted By Marty Manning-Honolulu Punch; Hawaiian Holiday; Mele Kalikimaka (Golden Hawaiian Hits, 1963)

More Christmas banjo medley fun from these guys. Were they a real band or just a studio conglomerate put together by Manning? The world may never know.

4. Unknown Artist-Sh-Sh, Snowflakes Falling (Mockingbird Flight, 1975)

Another uncredited song from this five record set created for classroom use. I think this was the first seasonal track I noticed on this set when I picked it up. I knew I needed it right then, but when I saw the other Christmas songs down further in the tracklist it was a must-buy.

5. Robert Douglas As Narrator, With The Children's Hour Orchestra And Singers Conducted By Larry H. Laberer-Frosty Winds (All About The Seasons, 1963)

Some cold-weather related stuff that I figured was close enough.

6. The Arlingtones, Jay Giallombardo-Director, Soloist: M. Fanizza-It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas (A Chorus For All Seasons)

Again, the last track from this side-long salute to Christmas. We'll miss these guys, and the other folks we're finishing up today.

7. The Eric Rogers Chorale And Orchestra-Ave Maria (Glory, Glory, Hallelujah, 1964)

The second and final track I have to share from these folks and this album. That's not really enough to wear out their welcome like some folks around here.

8. Jan DeGaetani, Soprano, Orchestrated And Conducted By Rayburn Wright-The Christ Child's Lullaby (Alec Wilder: Lullabies And Night Songs, 1985)

Good stuff, but I can't think of anything interesting to say about it, sorry.

9. Michael John, Glenn Close, Penny Fuller With Charles Rule-Christmas At Hampton Court (Rex, 1976)

Now we're getting somewhere. This is an interesting Christmas song from one of the few flop musicals written by Richard Rodgers. Supposedly it closed after a little over a month, but that was enough time to squeeze out a cast album, and lucky for us there's a Christmas track on there. And one of the credited vocalists on that track is none other that Glenn Close in one of her first stage performances. Listen close and you can tell it's her. Glenn is well known for having been in Up With People, but I didn't known she'd performed on Broadway and certainly didn't know she'd performed Christmas music in there. I think she also showed up on one of those Hallmark Christmas CDs, but that was much later.

10. Toy Band-Theme VII (March And Dance With Toy Band-My First Golden Record Library Volume 10)

Bringing up the rear, it's yet another short bit of Greensleeves with some out-of-context narration. Dig it. 

MEGA









2 comments:

  1. I too didn't realize Glenn Close was in Rex. She has been around longer than I realized (but not as long as me!).

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...