Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Surfin' Santa

This may be my shortest post of the year, but it's one of my favorite finds.  I've known of it for a long time, but when I found a copy of it in the bin, I figured there was no way I was going to be able to afford it.  But I put it in my pile anyway, figuring there was no harm in seeing what the price would be.  When I was done searching through the archives, I handed over the stack, and a few minutes later the shop owner said $5 for the handful. I said OK while trying to not act too excited.  I paid my money and got out of there fast.  And my gain is your gain, because I'm giving you a copy of this great record.  This is Soupy Sales-Santa Claus Is Surfin' To Town b/w The Soupy Sales Band-Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town (Reprise 7" 45 RPM 244 Promotion Not For Sale, Mono, 1963).  The B side is basically an instrumental version of the A side, but no Soupy, so they credited it to the band. And the arrangement is credited to Jack Nitzsche, and it really rocks! I was surprised to discover today while researching this record that there is another Christmas record out there with Soupy Sales on it.  Anybody got this one? I'm going to add it to my want list and see if I can complete the Soupy set.

MEGA

10 comments:

  1. Heck, I vividly remember watching Soupy on television in the 60s, about the time this record came out. I have at least one of his singles (and I think an LP), but have never seen this one. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock And Roll Ernie! Great music, great share!
    Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Soupy Sales Show was one of my favorites when I was a tot (along with The Red Skelton Show, which is why I love David Rose). I have the LP of Soupy's show (sadly, I did not take good care of it as a two-year-old so it is only a souvenir now), and I have Santa Claus Is Surfin' to Town, but I was not aware there was another Soupy Christmas record. Ernie, you are amazing! If I find the record, it's yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Moly, Soupy Sales! Weeeeeeeeeee...
    Thank you Ernie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a track on this record of Soupy getting hit by a pie? Why not??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not really my cup of tea but it's fun to hear Christmas songs done differently.
    Thank you for sharing Ernie!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...