Sunday, December 29, 2019

Disco Christmas In Canada

Is it my imagination, or am I sharing better Christmas music after the big day than I did before? I guess it depends on what kinda music you like, really.  Some people don't care about disco, but I remember being really excited about this record when I found it, yet here I am sharing it out a few days after Christmas. The day I spotted this record in the stack of another collector at the Salvation Army, I was heartbroken.  I knew it was Christmas disco, and I was pretty sure I'd never seen it before.  The nature of Christmas disco records is that they were recycled pretty frequently, so it's rare to find something that wasn't previously released as something else.  As I watched the other guy carry the record around the store, I got a little depressed.  But then as he examined all the records in his stack, he threw this one back because it was too beat up and he didn't think it was worth anything.  Well, it was worth a lot to me, so I grabbed it, paid my dollar and brought it home.  Doing a little research reveled that it was indeed a reissue of something that had come out earlier, but still not something I had ever seen before. The die-cut cover kind of put me off taking the time to properly scan in the cover for you, but I finally took some time last night to get it cut out and looking half decent.  It's still pretty beat up, and shows a lot of ring wear, but it's still got a lot of charm.  Give it a listen and tell me if it was worth the wait.  This is Montreal Sound-Christmas Disco Party (AKA Canadian Christmas-New Sound Of Xmas) (N.S.B. (Canada) NSB 103 (AKA N.S.B. 101 on label), Stereo, 1977).

1. The Jokers-Gloria Medley (Gloria; The Shepherds; Jingle Bells; Hark The Herald Angels Sing; Sleigh Ride; God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen; In The Manger; O Come All Ye Faithful; Little Town Of Bethlehem; The First Noel; The Angel Song; The Big Ending)
2. S. Beausoleil-Little Drummer Boy
3. R. Lee-Halleluia
4. R. Berthiaume-White Christmas
5. R. Lee-Silent Night Suite (Silent Night; Holy Night; Fugue; Ave Maria; Holy Night)
6. G. Bribosia-Little Altar Boy
7. C. Linton-When The Year Is Over (Time Goes By; Happy New Year; Now Is Time To Celebrate; Zezelte; Auld Lang Syne)

MEGA

3 comments:

  1. Remember when Mrs. Claus was a sweet old white haired lady who baked cookies? Now she's a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model who boogies. Times have changed. For the better if you're Santa. BTW, who keeps track of whether Santa has been naughty or nice? Things that make you go hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not Mrs. Santa. Such an ugly divorce, with the Mrs. getting half of the toy shop. She tried to claim the sleigh, too, but it was ruled essential to the performance of Santa's job, so she didn't get it. The only reason we still get toys at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, and I'm totally ok with disco. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...