Wednesday, January 01, 2020

Nationwide Is On Your Side

You just gotta love it when these corporate choruses get comfortable in their abilities and decide to make an album.  In this case, it's the gang from Nationwide Insurance, and they are quite the brand ambassadors.  Perhaps it's this same group that later sang the famous Nationwide jingle.  I don't think that jingle existed when this record came out, though, so you don't get that here, it's just a bunch of Christmas carols and songs, with a few curveballs thrown in for good measure.  While it's still New Year's Day, be sure you download The Nationaires-Happy Holidays From The Nationaires (Nationwide Insurance Activities Association LPS 7100, Stereo).

1. It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year
2. An Irving Berlin Christmas
3. Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
4. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
5. Silver Bells
6. I Remember December
7. Ave Maria
8. Do You Hear What I Hear
9. The Jesus Gift
10. Glory Hoodie
11. What Child Is This
12. Rose Of Sharon
13. Hallelujah Chorus From "Messiah"
14. O Holy Night (Cantique De Noel)

MEGA

5 comments:

  1. On line, it says the jingle was set to music in 1969, and this definitely looks post-1969. The Nationaires were (probably still are) home office (Columbus OH) employees. I actually accompanied them for two practices when I worked at the home office, and I almost accompanied them for an appearance--my supervisor didn't give me the time off work, however. I was filling in for the regular accompanist, who briefly quit but decided to come back.

    I'm surprised only one LP shows at Discogs--I thought they made LPs fairly regularly. Maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i still cringe when my bank sends me a card with its "warmest wishes for the holiday season". i don't know why. it's just part of modern life. i think i like these corporate christmas albums for a similar reason. i don't like the music so much. but i like the fact that they were part of american life from the 1950s to the, what, 1980s. they walk a tightrope over an abyss of bad taste. some do a credible job. a lot of work went into this. some original arrangements. and considering how big the group was, their attacks were pretty snappy. pretty clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put this firmly in the 80's. The first track has that definitive DX-7 bass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visited with a friend a couple of weeks ago and randomly found out that her mom was a member of the Nationaires! She wasn't on this album but said she was on another one and that the soloist missed a note on a song and they left it on there. Now I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled for that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great story! Love to hear from people with a personal connection to the music I share. Thanks for thinking back to this older share! :)

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...