Wednesday, July 04, 2018

Christmas In July 2018-Day 04

Good morning, and Happy 4th of July to all my American visitors!  For the rest of you, Happy Wednesday!  I've got nothing special for you today, just a pile more Christmas music to listen to before you go see the fireworks tonight.  It's hot out there, maybe this holiday music will help cool you off.  Maybe...

1. Introduction To The Nutcracker Suite by Deems Taylor, a spoken word bit from Britten: The Young Person's Guide To The Orchestra/Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker Suite, Op. 71a (Mercury MG 50055, Mono, 1955).  The music on this one is by Antal Dorati & The Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra, but I especially liked the narration bits.

2. Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker Suite by Jerry Murad's Harmonicats from Harmonica Rhapsody (Columbia CS 9141, Stereo, 1965).  I figured I'd go ahead and get The Nutcracker bits out of the way early tonight.  :)

3. The Virgin Mary Had A Baby Boy, a rerun, but a good one from The George Mitchell Choir, Conducted By Robert De Cormier, taken from a recently unsealed copy of Where Have All The Flowers Gone (Liberty LRP-3316, Mono, 1965).  I wish I'd found a sealed stereo copy, but beggars can't be choosers.

4. Gaudeamus Igitur; Winter Song; Rambling Wreck From Georgia Tech, a rambling medley by Living Voices from the LP Living Voices On The Campus (RCA Camden CAL-715, Mono, 1962).  I've always liked Winter Song, not sure why.  Maybe because we don't really have winter here in Florida, it's just not summer for a little while...

5. Winter Heavens Opened by The Winnipeg Mennonite Children's Choir-Helen Litz, Director, another good track from Singing The Seasons Of The Lord (Choristers Guild, DSC-1, Stereo, 1979).

6. Ave Maria by 1977 Chamber Singers-Robert Summer, Conductor, from the album University Of South Florida Chamber Singers And University Singers (Suncoast Recording Service KM 4471, Stereo, 1979).  I thought about doing a whole day of nothing but Ave Maria versions, but then I thought better of it.  I like to mix it up, I want there to be a little something every day that you like and something that you dislike.  If I bunch it all together, some of you might skip that day, and I can't have that!

7. My Favorite Things by Dave Brubeck Quartet from My Favorite Things (Columbia CS 9237, Stereo, 1966).  No arguments, please.

8. She Makes Me Warm by Pat Shannon from Back To Dreamin' Again/She Makes Me Warm (Uni (MCA) 73079, Stereo, 1969).  Not so much Christmas, but you'll appreciate her making you warm when it's chilly outside.

9. Igloo by the Gerry Mulligan Sextet, a cold climate habitat from Mainstream Of Jazz (Emarcy (Mercury) MG 36101, Mono, 1956).  Brrr, I'm chilly already!

10. Rock Candy by Brother Jack McDuff and the LP The Natural Thing (Chess (Germany) 275 010, Stereo, 1968).  Nothing says Christmas like candy!

There you go, ten more tracks to brighten your holidays!  Though it may be a different holiday than most of you are celebrating today.  Sorry about that.

Zippyshare

6 comments:

  1. That Ave Maria collection will surpass the Special Ed Jingle Bells collection if you did that...and that Jingle Bells collection is a tad over 8 hours... I am talking at least another 14 hours beyond that...

    On top of the Gounod/Bach setting and the Schubert...there would be a few more of record to get... The Bruckner and Elgar are entirely overlooked due to these two...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Ernie!
    (please remember my requests ...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you have the distinguished Deems Taylor introducing the Harmonicats doing the Nutcracker Suite? I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Santa--More, and more, and more Ave Maria's coming. And not all Gounod and Schubert, I promise.

    Giampiero--I see your requests, but I'm not going to just send you music. I'll try to reshare it someday.

    Buster--I thought it was the other way around. Some unknown guy introducing the great Harmonicats!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ernie - Your enthusiasm for harmonica and organ records is inexplicable. Then again, I like accordion players.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you as always! Merry Fourth of July Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...