Monday, July 02, 2018

Christmas In July 2018-Day 02

And just like that, we're on our way!  Time to jump into day 2.

1. Gloucestershire Wassail by Chamber Singers-Robert Summer, Conductor, from the album University Of South Florida Chamber Singers And University Singers (Suncoast Recording Service KM 4471, Stereo, 1979). There are 12 Christmas songs on this one, and I first shared them with you during Christmas in July six years ago.  But I knew I could reshare it when I recently found a sealed copy.

2. I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm by Flip Phillips And His Orchestra from the jazz LP Flip Wails (Clef MG C-691, Mono, 1956). Nice version.  This label must have had something to do with Norman Granz since the label said it was made under his personal supervision.  I think you normally only see that on Verve labels.

3. Holiday For Strings, a not-at-all Christmas song performed by The Glenn Miller Orchestra Under The Direction Of Buddy DeFranco from the Pan-Am adorned LP Makes The Goin' Great (RCA Victor LSP-3971, Stereo, 1968).  This is an awful late LP for someone who died well over 20 years earlier.  I guess they figured his name would still sell.

4. Following on with orchestras named after their deceased leaders, here is The Bells Of St. Mary's by Lee Castle And The Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra from Jimmy Dorsey On Tour (Epic BN 534 (Columbia Special Products Reissue CSP 534), Stereo, 1959).  When did Jimmy Dorsey die?  I'll have to look that one up.

5. Satin Doll by Wild Bill Davis from Flying High With Wild Bill Davis (Everest SDBR 1052, Stereo, 1959). I love these old Everest LPs.  I don't know why, but I do.  I always have to pick them up and look closely at them, even though I don't need to.

6. Moonlight In Vermont by Tennessee Ernie Ford-Arranged & Conducted By Jack Fascinato, from the album Songs I Like To Sing (Capitol ST 127, Stereo, 1969).  At some point, I think Ernie Ford quit recording secular songs and just went full-time gospel.  It may have been after this.  Not his best work.

7. Medley: Silent Night, Holy Night; Little Town Of Bethlehem; Hark! The Herald Angels Sing-Organ Solo by The Banjo Barons-Arranged And Conducted By Teo Macero And Marty Manning from The Banjo Barons Play Music For Happy Times (Columbia CS 8889, Stereo, 1963).  Not sure why this organ medley is on an LP from a bunch of banjo playing guys, but what are you gonna do.  I had the wrong title on this one, but I think I fixed it before I shared it.  If not, sorry...

8. The Toy Trumpet by Del Castillo, pulled from his album Half & Half (Concert Recording CR-0028, Stereo).  I think the Half & Half refers to two different organs he used to make the two sides of the LP.  Important minutia to the folks who dig the organ sound, I'm sure.

9. Medley: Romeo & Juliet; March From The "Nutcracker Suite" by All Accordion Band-Arranged And Conducted By Joe Cain, from their album Accordion Capers (Time Series 2000 S/2192, Stereo, 1965).  All accordions, you know it's going to be good!

10. Waltz Of The Flowers by Andre Kostelanetz And His Orchestra-Andre Kostelanetz, Piano Soloist from the LP Nutcracker Suite-Between Birthdays-Verses By Ogden Nash (Columbia Masterworks ML 5664, Mono, 1961).  Second day, and this is the second track from this LP.  Gotta squeeze 'em all in somehow.

There you go, ten more tracks!  Any early favorites?  Don't worry if not, we've still got a lot of music in the Christmas In July 2018 folder!

Zippyshare

5 comments:

  1. Hello there - Clef was Granz's label before Verve.

    My parents' generation did not like to give up on their big band heroes, even when the bandleaders waved their last baton. Miller and the Dorseys especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thanks for the info, Buster.

    Now it appears removing your email from the list of contacts doesn't end notifications, you have to unsubscribe from your own blog! Now I'm trying to remove one email address without affecting the other one. Very, very odd thing they've changed here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Late to the party this year. Thanks for jumping back into it, Ernie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. early favorites… ok. i haven’t quite decided whether it’s ‘bad enough to be good’ or ‘good enough to be bad’. regardless, wendy bagwell’s “christmas in july” left me feeling like part of the audience at the opening night of “springtime for hitler”. i hadn’t felt like that since my introduction to the orpheus male choir of phoenix and “the cowboy’s christmas prayer”.

    by the way, you didn’t ask for least favorites so far. i’m not saying you should. i’m just saying you didn’t. but as he didn’t hold his tongue (or any other part of his pipes), i don’t see why i should hold mine. i think ernie (not not bert, but ford type) should stick to the moonlight of tennessee and leave vermont alone. am i right, pea pickers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! The fun continues. Three days late, so I'm going to grab these first three days and listen to them tomorrow during this Christmas Independence Day. Happy American Christmas Independence Day to all Americans!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...