Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Ohio For The Holidays

One of the things I always keep an eye out for is local Christmas music.  I love to find the records put out by radio stations or civic groups or maybe a collection of local bands in honor of Christmas.  Good ones are hard to find, but there are great ones out there.  This one is probably better than average, but if you grew up in the Dayton, Ohio, area, I'm sure this will bring back many Christmas memories.  I don't have any memory of when or where I got this, but a fellow Christmas collector over at FaLaLaLaLa.com posted his rip of this record and volume three last year, mentioning that his copies were pretty beat and he'd love to find a better copy.  The cover looked familiar, so I dug into the archives and found this copy, still in the 30-year old shrink wrap.  So the sound is really good from the fresh vinyl.  Anyhow, there's quite a range of sounds on here, so download it and give it a listen.  (And if you've got a local collection of Christmas music, please share!)  This is Holiday Aid-A Hometown Christmas-Volume II (Morningside Music (No Number) Dayton, Ohio, 1987, Stereo).  I may have labelled it Daytona instead of Dayton in the download.  Sorry about that.

1. Watersign-Good King Wenceslas
2. Linda Robertson (WHIO-TV) and Chuck Gillespie (WVUD Radio)-You Make It Feel Like Christmas
3. Rock And Roll Radio "Minstrels" (Dr. Dave Gross (Z93), Alan Kaye (Z93), Jan Neilson (WTUE), Chris Geisin (WTUE) and Wild Bill (Majic 104))-Little St. Nick
4. Sweet Adelines-Holiday Medley
5. New Horizon-Share Your Love
6. The Celebrity Choir-We Wish You A Merry Christmas
7. The Celebrity Choir-Happy Christmas
8. Larry Bailey-(Oo La La) Merry Christmas
9. Dow Thomas-Christmas Shopping Blues
10. Barbara Kerr (WKEF-TV) and Bruce Asbury (WHIO-TV)-The Gift Of Song
11. Van Dells-Silent Night
12. John Burkhardt-If It Were Your Child

Zippyshare

7 comments:

  1. Thank you, Ernie. Look forward to listening to this 'regional' share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty sure I have 1, maybe even 2 of these volumes. I need to go digging to see.Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I downloaded this one from your link at the FA. I imagine I'll recognize a voice or two just as I recognize some of the people in the cover photo. Thanks for posting, Ernie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was you more than anyone that got me into collecting local Christmas records - got me digging into my own city's musical heritage and when I travel I always look for local stuff. I found some great ones over the summer. I desperately need to learn how to rip my records so I can share!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love local/regional recordings, too, so thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holiday Aid for 2018:

    https://mega.nz/#!5UdQXICS!BIDsHMLOUXINpha9Zo3OriFbSn-FHghio-CZ2ULb9PE

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...