Tuesday, July 18, 2006

More Dam


Someone sent me some of their Vegas pictures recently, and asked why I hadn't taken photos like them. Well, I had. Almost exactly the same pictures. I just hadn't shared them out yet. So here's the first one. This is looking down into the valley beneath Hoover Dam. You can see the water from the turbines bubbling up in the center of the river. I couldn't figure out what was causing it to be aerated like it appears. I did learn that the green color of the water is due to algae. Before the creation of this and other dams upriver, the Colorado was colored red. The dams cause the silt to settle out of the water, and remove the color. So technically, the green is manmade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...