Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Christmas In July-Part 19

What do you folks want for day 19? Well, I haven't seen a lot of comments lately, much less requests, so I guess you get what I give you. And today you get two tracks each from two different artists. I just have to find the records I recorded...

Here we go. Artist number one is the famous harmonica hooters, The Harmonicats, from their album Dolls, Dolls, Dolls (Mercury SR 60008). (The full LP was recently shared out at "These Records Are BenT", so if you like what I share, go over there and get the rest of the album. The cover of his is different from mine for some reason. Things like that bug me...) The two tracks I picked out for their holiday flavor are March Of The Toys and Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers. I guess I'm not very original, since I've already shared out multiple versions of these tracks, but these are pretty good nonetheless. (The back of my LP says 'Wacker Series' on it. Anyone out there know what that's all about?)

Artist two is Norma Zimmer, one of the many, many artists who got her big break from Lawrence Welk. Her album is called Norma Zimmer Sings True Love As Featured On The Lawrence Welk TV Show (Dot DLP 3404, 1962), just in case you didn't know the Lawrence Welk connection. The two tunes are Ave Maria and The Lord's Prayer. Both are good tracks, but I'm afraid the sound isn't quite up to par. Lots of noise in the louder parts of the tracks. I'm not sure what's causing it, but I couldn't do much to get rid of it. I was surprised to find I had shared a track from Ms. Zimmer last year, but I didn't know who she was. She had a lead vocal credit on a various artists LP I shared that featured a track from Thurl Ravenscroft. It's a small world, isn't it?

So, after all that exposition, here's the link. Stay tuned for more Christmas In July, the holiday that melts in your mouth, and in your hands!

3 comments:

  1. Ernie,

    I really appreciate the work involved in selecting and posting these tracks!! I've downloaded all 19 zips so far but haven't listened to most of them yet. Hope to put a couple of nice compilations together from them. I've posted some "Christmas in July" albums (including two I recorded) at bongolongland.blogspot.com.

    Thanks again for all your past, current & future posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ernie,

    would love more space age stuff.

    (i emailed you recently about the bruce haack/tiny tim track, "Zoot, Zoot, Zoot, Santa's got a new space suit").

    Best,
    Gus

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...