Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Long Before Fargo


From way, way, way back in 1951, this is Yogi Yorgesson With Johnny Duffy And The Scandahoovians-Yingle Bells (Capitol EAP 1-461, 1951). As I mentioned, I don't have many singles, but when I found this one at the expensive record store a couple of weekends ago, I couldn't resist. It looks like this was out on CD once, paired up with a few Stan Freberg tracks, but it seems to be out of print now. I know some of the tracks have been anthologized here and there as well, but not all of them. And I believe Dr. Demento wears the grooves out of his copy come Christmas time. I don't think you'll mistake this version for a clean copy from CD. But hopefully if you're like me, a little vinyl crackle makes you feel all warm and tingly. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

5 comments:

  1. Of course we all know Yogi Yorgeson by his real name, Stan Boreson. Just had to mention it as a former Ballard (Seattle), Washington resident. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure? I thought it was Harry Stewart. That's who's credited with writing all the songs, and his name shows up on all my web searches. But what do I know? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know his name, but I remember the songs played on the jukebox at the English Pub at christmas time in Winchester, Wisconsin as a kid. Playing darts, drinking hot chocolate, ignoring the old folks and listening to him yust going nuts! good times...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I doubt that Stanley Boreson was recording anything way back in 1932!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Yogi Yorgeson, the Swedish Swami," was created on Tacoma radio in the 1930s by Harry Stewart, who would later achieve fame with his recordings for Capitol Records. He also recorded novelty songs as "Harry Kari,Japanese Troubador," for Capitol. Stan Boreson, a Seattle children's entertainer, used many of Stewart-written and Yogi-performed songs on his local TV show and in personal appearances.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...