Wednesday, November 25, 2020

01-Thanksgiving

Hello!  I know I'm a day early, since Thanksgiving isn't until tomorrow, but I wanted you to maybe have a chance to listen to and enjoy this music on the actual holiday itself instead of having to wait a year. So if you're stumbling onto this post in time for the big day tomorrow, download it and give it a listen on the day it's intended for. Things are going to be a little bit different around here this year, and I'll go into some more detail about that for you tomorrow, but suffice it to say that today's share is very similar to the Election share I gave you earlier in the month, if you happened to catch it. All the music here is from 78's that were digitized and shared by the amazing Internet Archive as part of their Great 78 Project. I know this is cheating a little since I've previously only shared music from my own collection, but it's so hard to ignore their quarter of a million great recordings. Also new this year, mostly because I don't have all the time in the world for such things, I'm not going to list out everything in the share for you, I'm just going to try to post scans of all the labels, again from the Internet Archive. Hopefully that will give you an idea of what's there. But trust me when I say there is great stuff in every single download this year.  No throwaway records, no random organ and chime stuff, no kiddie garbage, just lots of great music that's been mostly lost to time.  Like I said, I'll get into more details as the season goes on, but for now, here's a great collection of Thanksgiving related tunes to kick off your holiday season. Enjoy!

MEGA

Update-4 Jan 2023-Added tracklist to allow searching.

1. Earl Fuller's Rector Novelty Orchestra-Cold Turkey
2. Florian Zabach-Cold Turkey
3. Red Ingle And The Natural Seven With Frank "The Terrible Turk" Leithner At The Town-House Piano-Moe Zart's Turkey Trot (Based On Mozart's "Rondo All Turca")
4. Lawrence Duchow And His Red Raven Orchestra-Pilgrim Polka
5. Big Jay McNeely-Texas Turkey
6. Benny Rubin-Thanksgiving Day (Comedy Monologue)
7. Remo Biondi And His Orchestra-Turkey Run
8. Horace Henderson And His Orchestra-Turkey Special
9. Roy Rogers (King Of The Cowboys) With Male Quartet And Orchestra-Gabby The Gobbler
10. RCA Victor Orchestra-Ardon Cornwell, Conductor-March Of The Pilgrims (From "Harold In Italy")
11. Carson Robison And His Pleasant Valley Boy-Old Tom The Turkey
12. Jimmy Wakely With String Orchestra-Thanks
13. Les Brown And His Band Of Renown-Turkey Hop
14. Jan Savitt And His Orchestra-Turkey In The Straw
15. Freddie "Schnickelfritz" Fisher And His Orchestra-Turkey In The Straw














I would also point you to a few old Thanksgiving posts in the archives, many of which still have active downloads. You may have to look in the comments, but they are there. The more the merrier, right?

5 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I just love it.

    Happy Thanksgiving, pal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Even though not all the titles refer to Thanksgiving, I'm amazed that there are so many "Turkey" titles out there. Great search job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pilgrim hat is off to you. Extraordinary musical archeology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, folks! There's some neat stuff out there, and I really enjoyed bringing it together for a themed share. :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...