Thursday, August 16, 2018

Christmas In July 2018-Day 37

I feel like I should have been on Day 37 some weeks back, but I'm still happy to get here.  Not a special milestone, but a good point to be at either way.  How many days did I do last year? 51.  Hmm, not sure if I'll make it that far this year.  I shared out a lot more tracks last year, too, they just seemed to keep coming and coming and coming!  But we'll see.  What's in the pile tonight?

1. We Need A Little Christmas by The Monterey Brass With Vocals By Mary Louise & The Michaels Brothers, a real budget recording from The Hit Songs From Mame (Diplomat DS-2385, Stereo).  The side I recorded this track from listed three songs, but there was clearly four tracks on the vinyl.  I had to listen first to be sure I was getting the track I wanted.  Not sure what that bonus track was.

2. Ave Maria, Vergine Fiore (Hail Mary, Virgin Flower) by The Sistine Chapel Choir from The Sistine Chapel Choir Sings-The Vatican Pavilion At The New York World's Fair (Kaye Records SC 1000, Mono, 1964).  From a nice gatefold souvenir album that I assume you could pick up at The Vatican Pavilion.

3. December: The First Snow Of Winter by Arthur Godfrey With Orchestra And Chorus Under The Direction Of Archie Bleyer from Arthur Godfrey's TV Calendar Show (Columbia CL 521, Mono, 1953).  I thought I'd already shared this out with you this season, but I saw it was still in my folder.  I hope I'm not screwing something up here.  Arthur Godfrey showed up sometime recently on my TV in a small cameo bit during Four For Texas.  Not the best Rat Pack film, but it has another nice cameo from the very old Three Stooges!

4. Mary Born A Baby by The Lycoming College Choir-Walter G. McIver, Director, from Let Us Break Bread Together (Lycoming Records LLP 500, Mono).  Not sure if I've ever heard this song before.  I guess that's a good thing about these home-recorded records, you hear stuff that you've not encountered before.

5. My Favorite Things by Don Baker from The Great Songs From The Motion Pictures My Fair Lady, The Sound Of Music, West Side Story (Kapp KL-1411, Mono, 1964).  Because you needed more organ music from The Sound Of Music.

6. Sugar Plum Cha Cha by Ray Rasch And The Pipers 10 from Flutes Front & Center!-The Persuasive Flutes (Warner Bros W 1454 Promotion Not For Sale, Mono, 1962).  I can't tell you how excited to give you cha cha Nutcracker music performed on the flute and organ!  It's like four great tastes that taste great together!

7. Amen by St. Albans Childrens Chorus-Lucille Burney, Director-Ruth Perkins, Accompanist-Solist, Kenneth Burney, from St. Albans Childrens Chorus Sings (No Label SXB-600/-601, Stereo). Not bad, but a big let down after cha cha Nutcracker organ flute music...

8. The Bells Of Saint Mary's by The Choir Of The Church Of Saint Mary-Rev. John J. Bonzagni, Director, from the LP The Choir Of The Church Of Saint Mary-Lee, Massachusetts (Vogt Quality Recordings 2xLP CSRV 2754, Stereo).  You know what this needs? A cha-cha beat.

9. The Snow Maiden: Dance Of The Buffoons by RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra-Robert Russell Bennett, Conductor, from It's Classic But It's Good (RCA Victor Red Seal LSC-2238, Stereo, 1958).  I saw Robert Russell Bennett and knew I had to try and find something on this one to share.

10. March Of The Lunatics by Leonard Pennario from The Two Pianos Of Leonard Pennario (Capitol SP 8517, Stereo, 1960).  I have no idea what's going on here.  Something about two different tracks in two different keys played by the left and right hands.  Someone smarter than I can figure it out, I'm sure.

And that's it, ten more tracks.  Is it Friday yet?

Zippyshare

3 comments:

  1. Thank you kindly. Hope you are feeling better. I see that the cha-cha organ and flute piece raised your spirits, and no wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes! another christmas cha-cha. nothing better. i don’t suppose you got a cha-cha version of ‘o come, o come emmanuel’ or ‘the coventry carol’ or ‘salvation is created’. i could use those.

    i think that if he ever heard the st albans’ childrens chorus singing ‘amen’, jester hairston must have sighed and thought “can’t jump, can’t dance, and they can’t sing either”.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! And, since I'm catching up on a couple of days, yes it's Friday!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...