Thursday, November 23, 2017

Old And Red


I get a lot of requests to share my old shares here at the blog, some of them fairly frequently.  However, I think this is the first time I got a request for something that never even got a comment the first (in 2007) or the second (in 2009) time around.  I had just about forgotten about it myself, though I knew I had shared something by Mundell Lowe before.  I'm not aware of any other Christmas music he released under his own name, though as a long-time session musician, he must have played on uncounted releases by other artists through the years.  This being a flexidisc, I'm sure the sound is only marginal, and since I recorded it ten years ago, the recording and bit-rate may not be too up-to-snuff either.  So take it for what it's worth.  This is The Mundell Lowe Ensemble-The Sounds Of Christmas (Ameridisc Red Flexidisc 7" 33 RPM, Mono).

1. Medley: Adeste Fidelis, O Little Town of Bethlehem, The First Noel, It Came Upon A Midnight Clear, Silent Night and Joy To The World

Zippyshare

9 comments:

  1. Was this a promo of some type? It doesn't indicate any sponsorship, and flexidiscs usually have some commercial purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a quick search and found a white version on eBay with a cover. Looks like maybe it was part of a Christmas card you could send someone though the snail mail. That would explain why there is no sponsor. They date it as 1961 which seems about right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Detective Ernie!

    I always send Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. old and red... the way i like my wine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its funny the memories music can bring back. I would beg my parents to let me listen to these flimsy little albums when I would get one. I think I only came across a few in cereal boxes etc... It seemed like magic that they could record music on these thin sheets of vinyl. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only flexidisc I own - Christmas or otherwise - is the Billy And The Boingers one that came with the Bloom County book. Still listen to it! Thanks, Ernie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh, heh...that would be ME who requested it!

    The sound quality is really not all that bad considering the medium, and hardly 'trash'!

    The acoustic guitars on two of the pieces is an interesting touch...

    Thanks for the re-up!

    -- from a dedicated 'lurker' and mp3 'collector' since 2011, who hopes to be brave enough to comment more this season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. From 0 comments in the past to 8 now including mine. Well done and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I haven't listened yet (I'm in mass downloading mode) but I loved the flexidisks I got when I was a kid so I can't wait to hear this one. And I had to comment just to add to the number of comments. =)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...