Saturday, July 01, 2017

Christmas In July 2017-Day 1

Well, I told myself I wasn't going to do this, but here goes.  I spent a big chunk of the day recording some Christmas music from non-Christmas LPs, so I'm going to share some of them with you during the month of July.  I may not do every day, and I may not do too many on the days that I do share, but at least I'll do something to cut down on the size of this giant pile of records I've been accumulating.  And it's a lot of fun, so there is that.  As has become usual, lots of reruns from past years, though they are all new rips from newly found LPs.  I usually don't realize until I'm listening to it that it sounds kind of familiar, and then I research it a little and discover I shared it out 8 years ago.  Hopefully it sounds a little better this time around, but not always.  So where to start?  How about Snow, Snow by Monty Kelly And His Orchestra And Chorus, something I shared out before from a 45 EP, but this time it's from a 10" called Sensations In Sound And Moods "I Love" (Essex 10" 33 RPM ESLP-106, Mono, 1954), which appeared to be a short series.  Not sure if I've ever seen the others, but I'll keep my eyes open. Next up is a new-to-me track called Snow-Capped Mountain, the first of two tracks I pulled from the self-titled LP by Trio Schmeed (ABC-Paramount ABC-103, Mono, 1955), with orchestra duties handled by Don Costa.  Very interesting stuff on this LP, I wound up ripping about half the tracks, although only a couple of them will show up here.  Track three is the original mono recording of Brazilian Sleigh Bells by Percy Faith And His Orchestra, not from the original 78 but from the LP Fascinating Rhythms Of Percy Faith And His Orchestra (Columbia 10" 33 RPM CL 6203, Mono, 1952).  Again, there appear to have been a whole series of LPs featuring the word Rhythm from Mr. Faith around this same time.  Some interesting stuff on there.  Fourth, we have We Need A Little Christmas, From "Mame", the track that started this madness off today.  I discovered this record at a Goodwill and decided to run home to record this track.  And one thing led to another and here I am trying to do Christmas in July with almost no tracks prerecorded.  Anyhow, this is by The New Singing Sergeants, from the LP of the same name (The US Air Force AF-10276 "This Record Is Not For Sale", Stereo, 1976).  What makes them 'New' appears to be the addition of some women to the previously all-male group. And last but not least is a great rerun track called Ski Run by 101 Strings from the LP 101 Strings Plus Dynamic Percussion (Alshire S-5145, Stereo, 1972).  An oldie but a goodie.  We'll see how long I can keep this up.

Zippyshare

And yes, I still owe you some Hi-Fi Living albums...  Someday...

9 comments:

  1. What a great surprise to wake up to! Thank you, Ernie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ernie - Wonderful to have some July tracks from you! That Essex LP is in a series that featured sultry women on the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just in time for Canada's 150th.... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You remind me of me, Ernie: Start one task & before I get through start another. And no, I don't know any cure for it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, folks! They really make it easier to keep going on this month-long project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ernie, thanks for your work and passion here. Sorry I'm late to the party. This is going to be fun, again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Traveling this month so am on just a tablet ... Dropped by in case you were up to old tricks and what a wonderful surprise to see a pile 'o tunes waiting! Thank you so much for this and all you've done to make all our Yuletides that much more merry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back, Ernie! It's a great month for some Christmas music!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - how exciting to find this! I was just typing all the Christmas music I've downloaded through the years into a spreadsheet & I realized it had been a couple of years since I even looked at the sharity sites I used to haunt so I stopped by Falalala & spotted a comment from you, which led me here. I'm SO excited to see new music from you so I am now going to happily download it all. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! This year's Christmas is going to be so much better than last year's & you will be a large part of that fun.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...