Sunday, November 25, 2012

Singles Sunday #3-Grist Mill

Every once in a while, when researching a release date in the old issues of Billboard available through Google, I'll stumble across some Christmas release that I've never heard of.  Such was the case with this single from The Mills Brothers.  I knew of an album they put out, and another single, but not this one.  It seemed to have disappeared into the depths of history, even though Hoagy Carmichael was a co-writer of one of the songs!  So I started hunting for it and eventually found this re-issue 45 (the original came out a year earlier, when Decca only issued 78s).  It's typical Mills Brothers harmonies, and certainly deserves to be better known than it is, so I'm doing my part by sharing it out here today.  This is the Mills Brothers-My Christmas Song For You b/w On This Christmas Eve (Decca 7" 45 RPM 9-24768, Mono, 1949).  Enjoy!

MediaFire
Torrent

3 comments:

  1. Ernie, you've outdone yourself once again. These 2 songs are great and the audio is first rate. This will go right to the top of my playlist this season. Thanks again for this great find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ernie - like you, I have never seen this one. I am sure I will enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ernie. I have their Dot LP Merry Christmas album but had never heard these two before.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...