Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Christmas In July 2012-Part 32

You knew there was a part 32, didn't you?  There's just too much, and I'm too poor of a planner to be able to squeeze it all into just 31 days.  So today is everything else that's left in the Christmas In July folder that's tagged Christmas.  Some things that weren't all that great, or that skip, or that I just didn't get a chance to squeeze in earlier.  A mixed bag, really.

1. A Trumpeter's Lullaby And Bugler's Holiday by Johnny Kemm from the LP The Invisible Brass Band-Johnny Kemm Brings It To Life With The Revolutionary Lowrey Brass Symphonizer (Concert Recording CR-E112, Stereo).  This may be a rerun, I can't remember for sure and I'm too lazy to look.  Many of the organ LPs I find on this label have something I can use in my Christmas shares.  Not sure why, other than some Christmas songs are popular organ demo songs.

2. Too Fat Polka (She's Too Fat For Me) by Joe "Fingers" Carr And Ira Ironstrings and their LP Together For The Last Time-Volume 1 (Warner Bros WS1389, Stereo, 1960).  After I recorded this, I listened to Arthur Godfrey's version, which actually has the lyrics.  It's got absolutely nothing to do with Christmas, but if you remove that subtitle and dub some sleigh bells over it, I think it could well be a song about Santa.

3. Snowfall by Claude Thornhill And His Orchestra from his Decca album Dance To The Sound Of Claude Thornhill (Decca DL 78878, Stereo, 1958).  And because it's on Decca and in stereo, we know it's not the original.

4. Sleigh Ride In July by Lena Horne With Lennie Hayton And His Orchestra from her LP Songs By Johnny Burke And Jimmy Van Heusen (RCA Victor LSP-1895, Stereo, 1959).  Great song, but I didn't share it out earlier because I realized I just shared it last year, and it's probably too early to be bringing it back.  But it really is great, so here it is.

5. Skaters' Waltz by Frankie Yankovic from Frankie Yankovic Plays The All-Time Great Waltzes (Columbia CS 8239, Stereo, 1960).  Again, I'm pretty sure this is not the first time the other Mr. Yankovic recorded this tune.

6. Próle Do Bébé: Porcelain Doll-Wooden Doll-Witch Doll-Paper Doll-Rag Doll-Clown Doll (Polichinelle), a side-long piece about various dolls from Artur Rubinstein and his LP Highlights From Rubinstein At Carnegie Hall (RCA Victor Red Seal LSC 2605, Stereo, 1962).  Not very Christmassy, I'm afraid.

7. I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm by Harry Marshard And His Society Dance Orchestra from the LP Resort Favorites (Bel Canto SR/1006 (Blue Vinyl), Stereo, 1958).  When I bought this a couple weeks ago, the lady behind the counter at Goodwill looked at it and said something about swing music.  I looked at her kind of cross-eyed, then she started on about how old it must be, and how it was mis-priced at only $0.99.  I wanted to reach across the counter and smack her for her ignorance, but I didn't.  There were other records in the pile that were older and probably better.  I guess I'm lucky she didn't see the pretty blue vinyl inside the sleeve or I would have never heard the end of it...

8. Ave Maria! O Maiden, O Mother by The Lennon Sisters from Lawrence Welk Presents The Lennon Sisters Singing Best-Loved Catholic Hymns (Dot SLP 25250, Stereo, 1960).  Another rerun, but I'm sure the sound is much better this time.

9. Ave Maria by The McGuire Sisters-Accompaniment Directed By Dick Jacobs, from In Harmony With Him (Coral CRL 757303, Stereo, 1959).  I love me some sister groups.

10. Ave Maria by The Eric Rogers Chorale And Orchestra from an LP we saw much earlier in the month, Glory, Glory, Hallelujah (London Phase 4 SP 44028, Stereo, 1963).  Yes, I had way too many versions of Ave Maria this month.

11. Sleigh Ride as performed by the composer, Leroy Anderson And His "Pops" Concert Orchestra, from a small, 10" LP Leroy Anderson Conducts His Own Compositions (Decca Gold Label 10" 33 RPM DL 7509, Mono, 1949).  Don't know if this is the original, but it's close.  1949 was the first year they made microgroove LPs, so this is something a little special.

12. Skaters Waltz-Skips (sorry...) by Leon Berry from Glockenspiels, Trap And Plenty Of Pipes With Leon Berry At The Hub Rink Chicago-Volume 1 (Replica 33x2501, Mono).  I really don't like to share stuff that's obviously defective, but this was pretty good, and I've never seen another copy.  I think he redid this later for Mobile Fidelity, no, Audio Fidelity, big difference.

13. I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm by Les Brown And His Band Of Renown from the small LP also called I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm (Columbia 10" 33 RPM "House Party Series" CL 2512, Mono, 1955).  This House Party series usually comped old singles, so I suspect this may be his original hit version.  I've got a later stereo remake on Capitol in the pile to rip, but I never got around to it.

14. The Christmas Song by Mel Tormé With Wally Stott And Orchestra from My Kind Of Music (Verve V-8440, Mono, 1962).  I probably shouldn't share this, but who else is going to want the mono version but you guys?

15. The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late), yes, by David Seville And The Chipmunks (Alvin, Theodore & Simon) from their first album, Let's All Sing With The Chipmunks (Liberty LRP 3132 (Realistic chipmunk cover, red vinyl), Mono, 1958).  Again, a mono version of something I shouldn't be sharing, but I wanted to give it a listen and ask you to check something for me.  Wikipedia claims the first verse found on this early release has been replaced on later issues.  I don't hear any difference on this original pressing on red vinyl with the realistic chipmunk foil cover, but maybe I have to find the single.  Anyhow, do you hear a difference?  Oh, and that's really the way they're credited on the vinyl.  Not Alvin, Simon & Theodore.  Not sure when they changed that around...

And that's it!  You might get some Chanukah tracks sometime soon, if you catch my drift, but that's it for the Christmas shares.  If you haven't found anything in these tracks you like, you're in the wrong place.  Leave me a comment and tell me what your favorite track was, right after you finish tonight's download.

MediaFire

19 comments:

  1. Ernie! You have absolutely outdone yourself this month and I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed it! Thank you for all the great music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ernie, this was an absolute treasure of a month from you. Simply tremendous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ernie,

    Despite the year listed, it appears the the Leroy Anderson LP was actually released in 1950 (according to the book Leroy Anderson: A Bio-Bibliography).

    Also, I have seen that Arthur Fiedler was among the first to record this song in 1949, and Leroy didn't get around to recording it until September 11, 1950. (It was released as a single, Decca 28429, later that year.)

    Anyway, hope this helps!

    Thanks for your generous and AMAZING shares!

    RL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great month of shares - thank you so much for these gems - Now that they'ved been released in the wild I hope they live on forever. Some of my favorites from this last month?
    Abe King - Some Winter On Nantucket Town, Skitch Henderson - We Need A Little Christmas, The New Group - My Favorite Things, Count Basie & The Mills Brothers - December, Christmas Day from Promises, Promises, Joe "Fingers" Carr - Baked Alaska and greatly enjoyed all of the Trapp Family and really wish you would post the entire album from Arthur Godfrey, that TV one - those were wonderful

    Anyhow - thanks again for all your effort - you've made my life much brighter these last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ernie, You are the greatest. Thanks for sharing all of the songs with us. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks again, Ernie. It was a great month. See you around Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ernie, Thank you, thank you, thank you. True to the spirit of Christmas you are!

    Favorite track of the month - "A Ceremony of Carols" from day 26.

    Steve in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  8. I follow you year after year because I think your xmas music is amazing. I love it and as I see you an expert in the matter I ask you if you know where to find this stuff:

    Sing Along with Santa's Helpers

    It´s impossible to find the cd or vynil!!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like this!

    http://blackgemrecords.com/gallery/d/44229-9/Santa_s+Helpers+_Sing+Along+With_.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I got that somewhere. If I come across it, I'll see what I can do with it. I'm betting it's been duplicated a hundred times on various other albums, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This version of The Chipmunk song does sound a bit different; the vocals on the first verse sound a little less polished and there appears to be a bit of a flub during the "hula hoop" part. In any event it's a great share and thank you for all your hard work in finding these songs, I'll be definitely adding plenty of these to my Christmas playlist!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Ernie,

    You´re the King

    Regards form Spain

    ReplyDelete
  13. As usual Ernie, the music is great! Downloading and listening has been cathartic for me right now, so thank you very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ernie,

    I FINALLY finished downaloading the whole Christmas In July! Thank you so much for your hard work in bringing all of us Christmas geeks something to look forward to every year. I always discover something I've never heard! Looking forward to the real Christmas Season this year. Thank you again, Ernie!

    Tom (Detroit)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you very much, but:

    "Permission Denied.
    This file has been identified as a copyright protected work and cannot be distributed using MediaFire."

    MF is going down the tubes. Not the first time I've seen this message lately.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Damn! F'in MediaFire....Permission Denied. Any chance of re-up?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Could you please have these 'July' posts available for us to download again, as torrents?

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...