Friday, May 07, 2010

A War To End All Wars


From that same square in Waycross, GA, that I showed you a second ago, here's a statue to the fallen of a completely different war, this one described as The War To End All Wars. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out that way, but it was a nice thought. This monument commemorates the soldiers of the first World War.

I think it's called "Spirit of the American Doughboy". At least that's what it's labeled. I like the barbed wire, that's a nice tough. Why were American soldiers called Doughboys? There're some guesses out there, but I guess the true origin is lost to time.

The grenade in his hand is a nice touch, too. A little gory, but perhaps appropriate.

There's an old Kress store in the old downtown of every city in America, I think. It snuck into the background of my picture somehow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...