Thursday, November 27, 2008

Christmas Candy


Another new post for today that I felt kinda went along with the last two posts, this is Christmas as somebody thought it needed to be in the late 60's. Counter-culture (or drug culture, if you prefer) was one thing, but this is certainly another. Look at that psychedelic cover art, would you? It's far-out, man! Don't eat the brown peppermint, Rudy, and Santa done got hip! Well, this one certainly comes under the heading of interesting, that's for sure. I'd never seen it until this year, and got all excited about it. Why not download it and see what you think, instead of listening to me blather on and on about it. This is The Candy Store-Turned On Christmas (Decca DL75147, Stereo, 1969).

1. Jingle Bells
2. White Christmas
3. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
4. Winter Wonderland (Skips, I think)
5. The Little Drummer Boy
6. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
7. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
8. Silver Bells
9. Frosty The Snow Man
10. Auld Lang Syne

Update: This thing has already been downloaded 132 times? That hardly seems possible. Something odd is going on. Anyhow, PDMan pointed out a skip in Winter Wonderland. I don't know what happened there, because I pulled out the vinyl and it plays fine. But whatever. I re-recorded it and uploaded a corrected copy. The zip file above is now correct, and for those of you that already got it, here is a link to the corrected file. Sorry about that.

12 comments:

  1. Not as good as I hoped it would be but still a pretty good listen. Arranger Richard Rome was to go on to help establish the disco recording group The Ritchie Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not quite as groovy as the cover. But still fun.

    And that cover! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ernie,

    Is there a skip in Winter Wonderland? I have had some pretty weird stuff happen with my mp3 files this week after a visit to bongobells, so I'm just checking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure enough, it does sound like the word 'Bells' is missing from right there at the beginning. Lemme check that out. And if you caught what I caught from Bongobells, you'd be getting pop-ups every five minutes or so when IE or Firefox is open. I hope for your sake you didn't catch it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is the coolest LP I've downloaded in a LONG time. A little Motown, a little Herb Alpert, a little Partridge Family... my gosh, it's got them all! THANKS for sharing this LP! I'd like to add that I'd have probably been disappointed if they tried to make these great Christmas songs as groovy as the cover might suggest. If that had been the case, it would probably have been a "one listen download", but as it is, I'll be listening to his LP all this season and for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This album has alway been a mainstay of my family's celebration since we got the album as kids. My sister has the LP now. Thanks for spreading it's grooviness to the world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ernie, thanks again for your work. I follow your blog since some years now.
    It is possible to get a repost from The Candy Store – Turned On Christmas
    In some tracks it sounds like inspired by Phil Spector.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I found out that the record is officially rereleased :)
    THanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, this was something that finally made it through to the streaming world. :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...