Saturday, December 22, 2007

Still Winter


The final piece of the Winterhalter puzzle for you tonight is this great single from sometime during the Cha Cha craze of the late fifties/early sixties. If these two arrangements don't get you out on the floor and cha-cha-ing around the Christmas tree, then nothing will. Please download Hugo Winterhalter And His Orchestra-The Christmas Song Cha Cha b/w Rudolph The Red-Nose Cha Cha (RCA Victor 7" 45 RPM 47-7397). I found a version of the Rudolph track sometime last year on an Italian pressing of Hugo Winterhalter Goes...Latin and shared it out during Christmas In July here. I think the track came from this single originally, so I'm sharing it out here again. Funny story about this single... It appears to be pressed off-center. When the stylus is in the groove, the tonearm sways back and forth as the record rotates. And it moves so much that the pitch of the music goes up and down. Don't worry, I came up with a solution to that problem before I recorded the record, but I found it sort of odd. I wound up playing the record without an adapter in the middle like you'd normally use when you play a 45. Then I put some weight in the center of the record to hold it in place as it spun. Through a lot of trial and error, I was able to get the record to lie in the center of the groove spiral when it played, or at least close enough that I can't hear any problems in the playback. Loads of fun. Wanna hear what it sounded like before I went to all that trouble? Download this, but don't say I didn't warn you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...