Wednesday, April 04, 2007

AirFest 2007-Part Sixteen

Now I've got what I think are some of the coolest photos I got all day at AirFest last Saturday. Since sometime in the 90's, a fan favorite at airshows has been the Heritage Flight. Combat aircraft from different eras fly in formation as a salute to the aviation tradition. It's pretty incredible to see prop planes and jet aircraft flying side-by-side, the prop planes flying full speed, while the jets are at something close to stall speed. This was the first time I'd seen four aircraft in the formation, though. Previously I'd only seen three. But what beautiful airplanes! The F-15, the F-16, the F-86 and the P-51. Too cool.

3 comments:

  1. The bottom photo here, of the four different planes and jets in tight formation, from beneath, is a pretty awesome photograph as well! Dabbling in some digital photography myself, I can guess at how difficult it is to get such a great shot like this!
    Thank you for sharing the photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In that bottom photo, the formation is flying overhead from behind the flightline. Every time I've seen this Heritage Flight, it's ended when the team flies in from behind the crowd, get out in front of the crowd, then they spread out in all directions. I caught this shot right before they started breaking off.

    Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that P-51 pilot is going balls-out, and the other pilots are wondering when they're gonna drop out of the sky from lack of lift!

    Great photos. I normally come here for the music, but I also like planes.
    K

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...