Monday, July 03, 2006

Christmas In July-Part 3

It's day 3 of my July spectacular, and I'm already finding it hard to contain myself. I need to ration things out to make it to the end of the month, but I just can't help it. Instead of the usual two songs per day, today you get 5 tracks. Of course, nothing is as easy as it seems, and all five tracks are different versions of the same track, I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm. The first version features vocalist Dinah Washington from her LP September In The Rain. She changes the lyrics just a little bit to reflect some of the recent men in her life, but you'll still like it. From there it's onwards to the Command label head honcho Enoch Light from Enoch Light And His Orchestra At Carnegie Hall Play Irving Berlin. I don't know why this one features Enoch's orchestra and not The Light Brigade, but does it really matter? Version three is from someone named Machito with his orchestra, from an album called Irving Berlin In Latin America. Not the worst, not the best... Creed Taylor pops in for a percussion take on our song of the day from Ping Pang Pong: The Swinging Ball. Unfortunately, my LP was mono, so you don't get the whole swinging ball action here. Who else? Oh, Robert Maxwell, His Harp And Orchestra from A Song For All Seasons. Robert is probably one of my top three harpists, with Bianco and Harpo being the other two. Actually, those three are the only three I can think of. Well, I can think of one other, but I'm saving that track for another day. Stay tuned!

Oh, I guess it would be nice if I stuck the link in here somewhere. Enjoy!

1 comment:

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...