Thursday, July 27, 2006

Christmas In July-Part 27

Ah, the 27th day. Time is growing short, which is good, because my list of stuff to share is getting short, too. But not to fear, I've reserved some special stuff for the last few days of the month so that it doesn't turn into a schlock-fest right at the end. But today is not going to be my best day. (I'm secretly putting this post together a day early, because I will probably be busy tomorrow. I don't suppose you'll be able to tell the difference, but I believe in truth-in-advertising.)

Track one: Wait For The Wagon by Jimmy Dean from The Songs We All Love Best (Columbia CS 8988, 1964). As I mentioned before, this really isn't a Christmas tune, but as a kid, I had this song on a compilation and it's always been in my head for Christmas. I think the lyrics might have been slightly different, though. I'll have to dig up the one I had all those years ago and see...

Track two: March Of The Toys/Toyland by The Robert Shaw Chorale and Orchestra from The Immortal Victor Herbert (RCA Victor LM-2515, 1961). This is a little to operatic for my taste. Maybe you'll like it. If it means anything to you audiophiles out there, this was s shaded dog. Mono, but still a shaded dog. Sounds the same to me, but whatever. I'm listening to a record right now on Vik, and it sounds just as good as that shaded dog did... I'll shut up now.

Track three: Skater's Waltz by Bob Crosby from The New Bob Crosby (Coral 97007 LPCM, 1956). Don't ask me how I wound up with a German pressing of a Bob Crosby record. Some things in life I can't explain. I don't know when this record was actually released, but the recording date for the track in question was listed as 1956, so that's what I wrote.

Track four: Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers by Richard Hayman from Harmonica Holiday (Mercury PPS 2005). Go listen to the version of this same song by The Harmonicats that I posted the other day. Sound similar? Hmmmmm... I guess there are so many arrangements when it comes to harmonica hijinks.

Is that it? I think so. Here's the link. Hope you enjoy these!

1 comment:

  1. "Wait for the Wagon" is an old folk tune. The "Christmas" version went something like: Wait for the Wagon! Wait for the Wagon! Wait for the Wagon and we'll take a Christmas Ride! instead of and we'll all take a ride.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...