Sunday, January 05, 2020

Not Much Christmas

This next share is something that I remember recording years and years and years ago, pretty close to 20 years now, when I was first starting to get interested in these dusty old Christmas records. I was disappointed to discover that there really wasn't much on the album that sounded like Christmas to my ears. Sometime in the past year or so I found a nice clean copy and decided to revisit it to see if maybe I had missed something that first time around. Short answer, no, it's still not got much Christmas content, and I'm not too excited about the stuff that does identify as Christmas.  But it's still a neat little time capsule of it's time, you might enjoy it. It's a soundtrack to a TV special that featured a few "A" listers, like Liza Minnelli, Cyril T. Ritchard, Vic Damone and even The Animals! Orchestra duties are handled by Walter Scharf, best known for his work with Jerry Lewis.  This is The Dangerous Christmas Of Red Riding Hood (Or Oh Wolf, Poor Wolf) (ABC-Paramount ABCS-536, Stereo, 1965).

1. Overture
2. We Wish The World A Happy Yule
3. My Red Riding Hood
4. Snubbed
5. Woodsman's Serenade; Granny's Gulch; Along The Way
6. I'm Naive
7. Red Riding Hood Improvisation (Ballet)
8. I'm Naive (Reprise)
9. We're Gonna Howl Tonight
10. Ding-A-Ling, Ding-A-Ling
11. Poor Mouse (Ballet)
12. Granny; Along The Ray (Reprise)
13. We Wish The World A Happy Yule (Finale)

MEGA

6 comments:

  1. I have (or had) this LP and have (or had) the same reaction. Even so, I am downloading your transfer, because with those names, the record must be better than I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if i didn’t see it, i wouldn’t have believed it. not with that assortment of celebrities. it’s like the line-up of an old ed sullivan show, except everyone’s on the stage at the same time (at least on the cover). you could do a quiz show with these things. you know, make up a bunch of outlandish albums and juxtapose them with real ones; then ask people which is which. no one would know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music by legendary composer, Jule Styne! (co-author, with Sammy Cahn, of Let It Snow) Thanks Ernie.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jule_Styne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! The Wacky Liza Minnelli, Ding-A-Ling song. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always happy when someone finds something good in the archives. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...