Thursday, August 30, 2018

Christmas In July 2018-Day 56

56 days, but the end of the month is growing near.  Just keep in mind, all good things must come an end, though slowly.

1. To A Snowflake written by Francis Thompson and performed by E.E. Cummings, Narrator: Richard Wilbur from Many Voices-4A And 4B For Adventures In Appreciation (Harcourt, Brace And Co. 2xLP XTV 26319/20/36/37, Mono, 1958).  That's right, more poetry, and read by the somewhat well-known e.e. cummings.  His name was properly capitalized and punctuated on the LP, and I think I read once that he only did the all lower case thing for a small period in his life, but it's stuck with me all these years.

2. And Everyday Was Christmas by The San Sebastian Strings-Vocal By Rod McKeun And Anita Kerr from The Seasons-Spring (Warner Bros 4xLP 4 WS 2754, Stereo, 1973).  This was a box with all four records in it, and there were lots of possible items on the Winter LP, but I figured that was a little outside the theme for Christmas In July.

3. Ave Maria! O Maiden, O Mother by The Lennon Sisters from Lawrence Welk Presents The Lennon Sisters Singing The Best-Loved Catholic Hymns (Dot DLP 25250, Stereo, 1960).  That Larry Welk had to have his name on everything.

4. Bethlehem-Geberen by Richard Webb, Bass & Salvatore Mancuso, Organist, from I Love To Tell The Story (Central Woodward Woman's Fellowship VC 3330, Stereo).  Last one from this one.  I know you wanted more, but that's all there is.

5. Children Go Where I Send You by Sleepless Nites from the local LP Best Of The Fest-The John's Pass Music Festival (Mariner Records NR16050, Stereo, 1985).  John's Pass is an inlet less than an hour north of here with a huge marina that's been turned into a sort of tourist trap.  Not sure if they still do this music festival.

6. Christmas Song by Symphony In Blue, one last selection from Serenade In Blue-Series Eleven (Programs 131-143) (United States Air Force 7xLP Suggested Air Date: October-December 1969, Stereo, 1969).  Still my favorite find of the season!

7. I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm by The Johnny Howard Orchestra And Singers from Irving Berlin's Hit Parade With The Johnny Howard Orchestra And Singers (Dansan (UK) DS 010, Stereo, 1980).  Compare this stylistically to the many earlier versions I've shared out this month.  I think I prefer the earlier interpretations.

8. Let There Be Peace On Earth, one last selection on the bells by The Ringing Bells-Rachael Kuivinen, Director, from Christmas Music/Bicentennial And Old Favorites (United Methodist Church Of Chagrin Falls, Ohio 6093N9, Stereo, 1976).  Such good stuff, glad I found this one.

9. Song Of The Bells, more bells, this time by Frederick Fennell Conducting The Eastman-Rochester "Pops" Orchestra from Music Of Leroy Anderson, Vol. 2 (Mercury Living Presence SR90043, Stereo, 1959).  Not strictly Christmas, but too good to leave on the cutting room floor.

10. Toyland by The Longines Symphonette from Sweet Voices Of Inspiration (Longines Symphonette LWS 173, Stereo, 1966).  You put the word 'Voices' right there in the title, then you throw in an instrumental?  Hmmm...

That's it, another good night.  See you tomorrow!

Zippyshare

5 comments:

  1. I bet that e.e. cummings is barba's favorite poet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that Rod McKuen box set. My mother adored McKuen for some reason and I saw a title with "Christmas" in it. So I bought it for her as a Christmas present. Seemed like a win-win. I could take McKuen or leave him, but I do love that song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. goading me.

    he’s deliberately goading me with all this “oh, i prefer the earlier interpretations” stuff combined with the “sorry, no more christmas cha-chas… only organ music that i know you dislike”. and then he figures with the groundwork all laid out, he could sneak johnny howard’s cha-cha version of “i’ve got my love to keep me warm” past me. a snowball stands a better chance you-know-where.

    now, i’m not saying that johnny howard is a lester lanin… or even a bert ambrose. i’m not even convinced that “i’ve got my love…” is part of the christmas repertoire. but this recording is most definitely part of the christmas cha-cha repertoire because… well, because we’ll take anything we can get.

    before the hiatus, maybe i’ll return the favor. one with no vinyl. no cover. no letriculus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL the comments.
    Love this extended summertime Christmas! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ernie...

    If you make a ketchup reference in the next installment...I'm sending you a fruitcake...

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...