Friday, July 03, 2020

Nutcracker In July 03

Time for some more nuts to get cracked.  This is our third complete performance of The Nutcracker Suite, and this time is comes from Leopold Ludwig Conducting The Bavarian Radio Symphony and the album A Tchaikovsky Triple-Decker (Capitol SP 8644, Stereo, 1966). So it's a major label, but still a European orchestra that you've probably never heard of.  Oh well, there are worse versions, as you'll see.  In this one, they've divided all the songs out into their own track, so you get eight individual tracks here.  Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Ernie. I happen to be partial to all sorts of versions of this...despite how similar they all sound. I appreciate all of your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to the Rodzinski version as well as the Steinberg. Rodzinski was better.

    The Bavarian Radio Symphony is pretty well known, particularly among people in Munich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still having trouble telling them apart. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good performance but not well recorded. Rodzinski still is in the lead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I don't know if that's the original recording, or my copy. If it were on a budget label, I'd think maybe it was recorded from the radio, but Capitol wouldn't do such a thing, would they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hard to say, but I have many recordings from that source and they sound OK. This was an EMI recording originally, so I suspect that Capitol worked from a dub and then didn't do it any good in processing.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...